• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you figure it out???

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM
  • 26 Replies

Hi ladies,

I'm having some trouble trying to figure something out and was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I'm nursing (therefore not having a period), my hubby and I make love just about every day (therefore I'd be unable to pinpoint a possible conception date), and I don't plan on getting any ultrasounds done during my next pregnancy (to approximate the age of the baby). So, is there any other way to figure out the EDD of my next child? If so, what if I don't agree with those methods? How would I know when I'm due?

I'm not pregnant that I know of by the way...a friend of mine just found out she is after trying for about 3 years, so I've got pregnancy on the brain.

Anyone have any ideas?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM

i have no clue. I guess they could do blood tests or something and take a guess based of how much HCG you have? although that wouldn't be very accurate considering what the scale for that is like.

grammarpolice
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Why are you against sonograms and what are the "other methods" of dating a pregnancy that you are against and why?

CarterMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

i really don'tknow actually... i had my period back by the time i got pregnant before and it was pretty accurate so i dunno 

BUMP 

imechard
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Is there a reason you do not want an ultrasound, because that would date the best. They can drw blood and kind of estimate based on your levels, but it would not be that accurate. And you might also get your period back before too long, I never had the benefit of no periods while I was breastfeeding, they were right back at 6 weeks (which is the time of my normal cycle)

Jademom07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Read "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler...it will tell you how to know if you are ovulating and how to know when you concieved by charting your temp, cervical position, and cervical mucous. 

alwaysyoung
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Quoting grammarpolice:

Why are you against sonograms and what are the "other methods" of dating a pregnancy that you are against and why?

ACsLady
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I had my daughter 7 weeks ago and I decided to get an ultrasound done around 20 weeks with her when it wasn't needed. That caused a whole mess of problems for us because of inaccurate information. I also didn't really know much about ultrasound technology at that point either. After doing the research for myself, I've decided I don't want them done because of the harm they can cause to the baby and the fact that they are highly inaccurate in many ways.

I'm not against getting one done if there is a serious risk to the baby and for whatever reason a sonogram would help figure something out, but I can't think of any situations where that would be the case.

As for the other methods thing...I just wasn't sure if there were any other ways to figure out how far along you are. I only know of the ones I mentioned, but I don't know everything so I thought maybe there might be another way I hadn't heard of or something.

Quoting grammarpolice:

lcappytan05
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM

That is actually only a belief amongst americans. Europeans see no problem with ultrasounds and dont think they harm the baby at all. Over here (Germany) they do one at every visit (whether you are high risk or not) and honestly, the European doctors are a lot better than American ones....

Quoting ACsLady:

I had my daughter 7 weeks ago and I decided to get an ultrasound done around 20 weeks with her when it wasn't needed. That caused a whole mess of problems for us because of inaccurate information. I also didn't really know much about ultrasound technology at that point either. After doing the research for myself, I've decided I don't want them done because of the harm they can cause to the baby and the fact that they are highly inaccurate in many ways.

I'm not against getting one done if there is a serious risk to the baby and for whatever reason a sonogram would help figure something out, but I can't think of any situations where that would be the case.

As for the other methods thing...I just wasn't sure if there were any other ways to figure out how far along you are. I only know of the ones I mentioned, but I don't know everything so I thought maybe there might be another way I hadn't heard of or something.

Quoting grammarpolice:

ACsLady
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM

My periods have been irregular for the past few years, so I really have no idea when I should expect one...especially after not having one for almost a year due to the pregnancy and now nursing. So far there have been no signs of it returning, but I guess if it does then I'll be all right.

For the record, I don't stress about the due date too much. I'm mainly asking because it would help to at least know what month I'm due in when the time comes.

Quoting imechard:

Is there a reason you do not want an ultrasound, because that would date the best. They can drw blood and kind of estimate based on your levels, but it would not be that accurate. And you might also get your period back before too long, I never had the benefit of no periods while I was breastfeeding, they were right back at 6 weeks (which is the time of my normal cycle)

HuntersMomee
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM

cant they tell by your hormone level?

they can tell by the posistion of your uterus, and once you are showing more they measure your belly.

¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)                          (¯`v´¯)                          (¨*.¸*.¸
(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.¨¯`¯♥♥♥    `*.¸.*´   
♥♥♥¯`¯¨.¸¸ ´. ´.¸) ´.¸)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)