Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice from moms that use in-home daycare or a babysitter please.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello, my son is a year old and I just recently started a new job. Right now I have my son with a wonderful women but I can't keep him there because her daycare is too pricey since we are trying to save money. I only work one to two days during the week and usually the weekends but my DH watches him then. I would like to find a babysitter that will watch him in my home so that when my DH gets home, he can watch him. We only have one car so my DH can't go pick him up if we find a babysitter out of the home. So anyway, I have started talking to a girl that has a two year old and seems like a decent person but I am really curious how you all chose a babysitter? Did you do background checks, use nanny cams? Please any advice is helpful. There are so many horror stories out there about people abusing children that I don't want to take that risk but I have to work.

I may add that my SIL offered to babysit until her  15 year old comes home from school and she can watch him but I have alot of issues with that. For example:

• 15 year old has a 4 month old baby that she can hardly take care of (a baby having a baby)
  • my SIL is irresposible in my opinion, for example, she is pregnant with #5 and doesn't even have two of her children (they live with thier grandmother).
  • SIL drives around without a license and there is no way in hell that I would let her take my baby in the car
  • SIL has a 6 year old who would be with her when she watches our son and her 6 year old likes to play "rough" with my son and doesn't really undersand that my son is a baby and you have to be gentle. For example, the 6 year old throws toys and things at him. SIL saw him throw a teddy bear at my son and was laughing and said that it was not a big deal. I was like "um yes it is a big deal becasue you should teach you son better, it is not acceptable to throw ANYTHING at my son!"

Anyway, I think you get the idea but I just really don't know what to do. Please any advice or opinions.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I ran a home daycare up until 2 months ago (high risk pregnancy now). I have had parents tell me that they would be including audio recorders in their child's bag (bags were hung in the main room) so they could hear what was going on. I thought it was a very responsible thing to do. I also had one Mom who asked me if she could put in a Nanny cam. I said sure. I did not feel theatened at all. She never did, but she kinda "reserved the right", lol. 

I would say no matter what you do, you need to be honest with her & let her know you are watching & listening at all times.

BabyinAug08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Thank you. I tried to look for prices on nanny cams and boy those things are expensive but I didn't even think about getting an audio recorder. That would be good. I was thinking about trying to find an in-home daycare near our apt. but I just cant afford $35 dollars a day when I really only need him to be watched for about 3 hours until my DH gets home. So we put an ad on craiglist and I have talked to a few of the women but you know, how do you really know somebody just by looking at them? YOu know I want to make sure that everything is going ok.

Quoting kgsharber:

I ran a home daycare up until 2 months ago (high risk pregnancy now). I have had parents tell me that they would be including audio recorders in their child's bag (bags were hung in the main room) so they could hear what was going on. I thought it was a very responsible thing to do. I also had one Mom who asked me if she could put in a Nanny cam. I said sure. I did not feel theatened at all. She never did, but she kinda "reserved the right", lol. 

I would say no matter what you do, you need to be honest with her & let her know you are watching & listening at all times.

sandeetraveler
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Hi

I am a grandmother and I had the same question you had years ago when I went back to work.

I advertised for a sitter for in my home and at first I hired an older woman . Fortunately I was quickly contacted by people who knew her who told me things about her that she had lied about. So we let her go before she ever sat.

Then my ad was answered by a young mother in my own neighborhood who had a little girl my son's age. I didn't feel like I had to check her out real carefully because it was obvious that she was an extremely loving and caring mother to her own child and just needed a little extra money.

It worked out beautifully.  She sat for two years and loved my son as her own.

I do think you have to be very careful. ,  but I also thinking looking for a young mother who is really caring with her own children is a pretty safe way to go.

Good luck

BabyinAug08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Thank you. I have been speaking with a young mom, she is 23 with a 2 year old daughter. Today she is supposed to come over so I can see how she does with my son and I told her that I would liek a background check as well. But I just want to make sure that I am choosing the right person, you know?

Quoting sandeetraveler:

Hi

I am a grandmother and I had the same question you had years ago when I went back to work.

I advertised for a sitter for in my home and at first I hired an older woman . Fortunately I was quickly contacted by people who knew her who told me things about her that she had lied about. So we let her go before she ever sat.

Then my ad was answered by a young mother in my own neighborhood who had a little girl my son's age. I didn't feel like I had to check her out real carefully because it was obvious that she was an extremely loving and caring mother to her own child and just needed a little extra money.

It worked out beautifully.  She sat for two years and loved my son as her own.

I do think you have to be very careful. ,  but I also thinking looking for a young mother who is really caring with her own children is a pretty safe way to go.

Good luck

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

sandeetraveler
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I just remembered.  I paid that girl $50.00 a week and she worked from about 8:30 to 3:30 five  days a week in my home.

That was 1979.

I guess things have changed LOL

BabyinAug08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM

lol so yeah it would be a little over a hundred in this time. lol. That's the problem I am having. My Dh can watch our son on the weekends whne he is home so I really only need someone for an occasional 7am-3pm shift and 3pm-whatever time my DH gets home from his job usually about 8 pm. But still it is so nerve racking to know that I have to leave my bubby. I have been a SAHM since he was born.

Quoting sandeetraveler:

I just remembered.  I paid that girl $50.00 a week and she worked from about 8:30 to 3:30 five  days a week in my home.

That was 1979.

babyboomboom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I was a nanny, and a pre-school teacher.  My son now has a nanny because I work.  I did a background check, called references, and wanted to see a resume.  I had the nanny come over and meet him before I decided to hire her(this went on for about a week) and I asked all kinds of questions.  Ranging from what will you teach him to what would you do if there was a fire.  I made sure that my rules were the house rules and she had to follow them.  She is not allowed to drive my son anywhere as I don't trust her to use the car seat properly.(over 95% of seats are used wrong and I won't let my son be one of the 95%) 

I wrote a daily sheet like I had in day care with things like:  What he ate for lunch/snack/dinner, how his mood was, how his diaper changes were, etc.  That way I have a quick rundown of his day.  Also check her licence and another form of ID so you can be sure she is who she says she is.  Be sure to give her the responsibility of cleaning up after your LO because when you come home you shouldn't have to clean up their mess.  She should pick up his toys and rinse his dishes and put them in the dishwasher.  She should be picking up the cereal that your LO dropped on the floor. 

My son's nanny doesn't cook for him because he is so severely lactose intolerant so I cook and write out a weekly menu for her to go by.  She reads that and feeds him whatever I wrote.  Make sure she knows how often you want your LO changed(my son gets changed every hour regardless of how wet he is)  Be sure that she knows she is supposed to be playing with the child and not watching TV or using the computer while the child plays alone.  I told my sitter she isn't allowed to use the computer or TV until the baby is asleep for the night.

I don't use a nannycam because if I didn't trust my sitter I wouldn't have hired her nor would I have left her alone with my child.  Make sure the sitter knows if she can eat or drink anything that is yours in the house.  If she can, then you need to specify what she can and can not eat/drink.  Take your sitter for a tour of the house and tell her what is off limits and what rooms she can play in with the baby. 

Make sure she has a list of all emergency numbers including the poison control center (1-800-222-1222), post instructions for CPR and first aid near the emergency phone numbers.  Have your work number, cell and your SO's work and cell, as well as a neighbor or near-by family member/friend.  Show her where the fire extinguisher is and where the instructions are on the fire extinguisher.  Be sure to have your address written on the emergency sheet as she might forget it when calling 911(I have done this because it was a new job and I couldn't remember the house number).

That's all I can think of right now but if I think of anything else I'll post it.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
912Sister3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I would say definantly go with a mom with young children...at least you can watch her with her own and see how she is....I am a SAHM and I do in home child care DD is 3...the children I babysit are 3, 2, and 7months..I only charge $10 a day per child....(like 9hr  days)...Im really cheap but I enjoy the children and it gives my DD pleanty of social time!Ask her if she would be ok with a nanny cam/tell her you have one....if she acts uneasy or doesn't like it send her on her way!!! 

babyboomboom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Quoting BabyinAug08:

lol so yeah it would be a little over a hundred in this time. lol. That's the problem I am having. My Dh can watch our son on the weekends whne he is home so I really only need someone for an occasional 7am-3pm shift and 3pm-whatever time my DH gets home from his job usually about 8 pm. But still it is so nerve racking to know that I have to leave my bubby. I have been a SAHM since he was born.

Quoting sandeetraveler:

That was 1979.

For a shift from noon - about midnight, Mon. - Fri. I pay my sitter $125 a week.  But she knows I am a single mom and I am struggling already with bills.

I usually got about $150-$200 for one child for 40hrs(thsi was just a few years ago).  For the amount of hours you would need her I would pay her about $100-$150 a week depending on how many days you need her.

Also make sure she knows her schedule in advance or she might be busy.  Remember she has a life too and if she doesn't think she is working she might make plans.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)