Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

children tortured at dentist for profit

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM
  • 146 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your child's dentist let you back during procidures? After watching video please tell your thoughts on the events

Options:

no but i trust them

no

yes

yes thank god

other

no but we have no other choice they are the only ones who will take my child's insurance

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 197

View Results

VIDEO AND MORE OF THE ARTICLE HERE

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7016055&page=1

It's a promise many parents make before taking their children to the dentist: Don't worry, it won't hurt too much. But at some dental clinics catering to low-income families on Medicaid, that promise was broken behind closed doors.

Sources say because Medicaid pays low reimbursement rates, some clinics push to make a profit by performing more procedures than necessary.

Parents claim that the Medicaid Dental Center clinics in North Carolina were more concerned about profits than they were about patients. As a result, their children were left with awful memories, even though several years have passed since their visits.

Brandon Dillbeck was 5 years old when he says he was told during a visit to one of the clinics that if he didn't stop crying, he "couldn't see my mom again."

Brandon's mom, Christy Dillbeck, says she waited two nerve-wracking hours for her son to emerge from the dentist's chair.

"He comes walking out of that door with his whole shirt was full of sweat," she said. "And he had blood dripping from his mouth. And all I could see was silver shining through."

Silver, from a mouthful of crowns the dentist had put in all at once.

"He was freaking out," Dillbeck said. "All I could do was just grab him and hold him and tell him it was going to be OK."

Morgan Gough had a similar experience when he was 6.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I would never go to a dentist/doctors office where i could not be in the room with my child.  End of story.

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

If my sons dentist didnt allow me back there then I would be finding another dentist. 

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

No and I am done with those idiots. I mean seriously, how hard is it to fill a tooth and the filling NOT fall out? 

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM

this

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

If my sons dentist didnt allow me back there then I would be finding another dentist. 

GabriellaM
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Exactly. Same here.

Quoting MOM22QTS:

I would never go to a dentist/doctors office where i could not be in the room with my child.  End of story.

beccacihacz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM

dh just took dd for her first ever appt. shes 3 y/o and they never let him back there with her needless to say shes never going back to that clinic or seeing any of those dentists again. (i called and let them know exactly how i felt on the subject also.) if the new dentist were to act like this also i think that im going to deck him too.

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I have seen this video before. Shortly after, I made an appt for my son with a pediatric dentist and was told over the phone that they take them back without parents because kids tend to behave better without them. Ummm, you mean  you can hold him down and not have to worry about me getting pissed? No way, I told them I would look elsewhere, thanks. He is on the autistic spectrum. I know he will be a wreck. No way would he go back alone. 

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM

so far my son's dentist lets me go back with him

Irishmellanhead
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM

My DD's dentist always lets the parents in the back to watch cleaning, fillings and etc. I have even brought my youngest in with us to watch. Then again I specifically choose a Pediatric dentist because I didn't want her to be scared of dentists and because they are very good with children.

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

The ONE pediatric dentist in our ENTIRE state does not allow parents in back with the kids. But my local general dentist allows it.

Quoting Irishmellanhead:

My DD's dentist always lets the parents in the back to watch cleaning, fillings and etc. I have even brought my youngest in with us to watch. Then again I specifically choose a Pediatric dentist because I didn't want her to be scared of dentists and because they are very good with children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)