Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I know when she is ready to potty train and move to her toddler bed?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM
  • 2 Replies

Shes 19 months old and is quickly outgrowing her pack and play (which I use instead of a crib). Her toddler bed has been set up for 5 months now lol but everytime we try to get her to sleep in it (we start at nap time), as soon as I shut her door she comes running up to it and pounds on it and cries until I open it back up... she always ends up back in her P&P.

She has also had her potty sitting in the bathroom for 2 or 3 months now, but I dont even know where to start with that. I tried getting her to sit on it and she wont... she wants to stand in the hole or put things in it, but she has NO CLUE what its really for and doesnt show any signs of wanting to know about it either. I think it just may be the type of potty my mom got (its the little froggy one from Walmart), it doesnt look like a real potty so maybe thats the problem.

So I guess im trying to figure out how to go about STARTING these things. I have the potty (though I may go get a new one that actually looks more like a potty) I have the pull-ups and I have the toddler bed set up in her room and ready to be slept in... what do I do now?! 19 months is PLENTY old enough to start these things because she is very smart and can pick things up in a matter of minutes... but how do I freaking start them?!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM

no one has advice? bummer... 

Irelandsmom04
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I'm probably no help. I always just let my kids take the lead on these things. We always co-sleep so our kids know what a "big kid" bed is for and when they are ready to move from our bed to their own they just do. Our now 15 month old usually falls asleep with us and then we move her to her own toddler bed which is at the foot of our bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the night she just climbs back in bed with us. Kind of the same thing with potty training. We start putting them on the potty around 5 months so they know what it is for but have never really forced the issue with any of them. They were all completely day trained by 18 months and night trained by 2. My now 15 month old is totally day and night trained already. She hated wearing diapers and would get really mad if she wet or soiled herself. So we trained her early. There wasn't much training to it though. She was ready and we just went with it.People think it is amazing that she is potty trained already and ask me how I did it. I didn't really do anything though, she was ready and she let us know. I guess what I'm trying to say is 19 months really isn't that old. Work with her and encourage her but don't push it. She will let you know when she is ready!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)