• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swine flu shot and school....

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM
  • 10 Replies

I called my dd doctors office today to schedule her physical exam, she's turning 5 on Sat. and they told me that they are booked because today on the newspaper came out that all children going to kindergarten next month had to get the swine flu vaccine! that it was mandatory... Well, here's my question, would you give your child the swine flu shot just to get them into kidergarten? I don't think I would... I rather take her out of school! 

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leahmaria7981
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM

No, my children would not be getting a swine flu shot. I didn't even know they had it out yet. That vaccine was put out WAY too fast for me to even consider getting it for myself (never get the flu shot anyway), much less my kids.

KandiceN
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM

No way.   I won't get this shot.  The ingredients alone freak me out.

What state are you in? Every state allows exemptions, it just depends what state you're in if it can be philosophical or religious.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

orchid404
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM

My son's in Kindergarten and no one told me so far that he needed to have it.  I won't do it as of right now, I want to see that there aren't any side effects.  So, no shot here.

amarias80
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I'm in NJ and they are asking to have it out by next month so the little ones can get it first but I think it was scheduled for Oct. but I rather take her out of school if that was the case. The school haven't said anything, they open Sept. 9. It was the secretary at my drs office that told me and she said that ppl are freaking out and making appointments for the shot and that's why they are booked!

Quoting KandiceN:

What state are you in? Every state allows exemptions, it just depends what state you're in if it can be philosophical or religious.

lesliekaym27
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM

We got our papers sent from school last week all about the shot.  I will not and refuse to allow my child to get this shot... Here's why

When my DD was 18 months old. I went back to work in order for her to be in our area day care she had to have a flu shot. Big mistake on my part..

1) After she got the shot she ended up in the hospital Sick for two weeks.

2) she had not thing but health issues after that.

My Doctor told me to never ever give her any flu shot what so ever. He said because next she won't be so lucky.

I wrote the school and told them she won't be getting the shot wether it was manditory or not.

Schleetle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:01 PM

This stupid shot has me so stressed out... It seems like everywhere I go I am getting pressured to get it (because I'm pregnant). I guess I'm paranoid, but I don't want to. My OB says its recommended, but I am going to decline it. I really hope I am making the right decision. I am nervous it could hurt the baby. I wouldn't get the shot for my children just to go to school. I think it should be a personal decision to get that particular vaccine especially considering its so new.

Pregnancy Ticker

KandiceN
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

It really should be.  If it was mandatory here I would probably take my child out of kindergarten.  In MN (where I live) kindergarten is optional anyways.  By next year they should have a better handle on the flu itself, and the effects of the flu shot.

Hm, to the OP, in NJ you can only get medical or religious exemptions.  I'd call the school and make sure it's really mandatory first.  Then I'd do whatever I need to do to avoid it.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM

First of all, the shot is still in clinical trials.  The earliest doses won't be out for another 6 weeks in mid-October.  Secondly, I haven't heard anything about the shot being mandatory for anyone.  If they ever do, then get an exemption.   

AJSMOM722
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM

what part of nj are you in?? im in nj too & havent heard anything about it being mandatory...if it is, i guess my son wont be going to school....im all for vaxing & stuff, but this shot is too new & they are rushing it in the clinical trials...

i dont know if anyone in here remembers back in the 70's they had a swine flu outbreak & the vax they came up with killed more people than the swine flu itself...so i really dont trust this one either.

Quoting amarias80:

I'm in NJ and they are asking to have it out by next month so the little ones can get it first but I think it was scheduled for Oct. but I rather take her out of school if that was the case. The school haven't said anything, they open Sept. 9. It was the secretary at my drs office that told me and she said that ppl are freaking out and making appointments for the shot and that's why they are booked!

Quoting KandiceN:

mamaleah17
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I read in my local newspaper that it may be mandatory. I will not let my kids get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)