• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anybody read books outside of the YA (young adult section) anymore?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM
  • 44 Replies

Im an avid book reader and as an avid book reader, I am always interested in finding a book series written for adults. It has amazed and amused me that so many grown women are so into book series that are written for children and teen agers.

I currently started reading the Laurell K. Hamilton series, the first book was published in 1993, it's a grown up book, but it is classified as a PNR (paranormal Romance), which just makes me wince but Im on book 6 and so far the only romance thus far is laughable its more action than romance. I hear that changes in book 9, anyone else reading this series?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshineSmiles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:00 PM

depends on what kinda books you're into.

I just finished reading The Strain by Guillermo DelToro (series of 3, books 2&3 are not out yet) that was pretty good.

Anne Rice has a good witch series.. i think the first one was called The Witching Hour

I was trying to get into this book called Wicked (its a series) but it sucked, so i stopped, lol.

and now, i'm back to YA, reading Twilight Saga for the 2nd time.

so.this.is.love
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I assume you are referring to the ever-so-popular Twilight Saga.  LOL!

I must admit, I LOVE the Twilight books.  It's one of the best book series I have ever read, imo.  I know there are plenty of adults who disagree with me, though.

I just started The Time Travelers Wife last night.  I am only on page 10 because I was interrupted quickly after starting it and haven't been able to read any more yet. 

I also just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  It was wonderful. 

I am drawn to books that are made into movies.  I like to read the books before seeing the films, though. 

TheFoo
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Harry Potter is my Young adult addiction LOL. Otherwise Im reading medical fiction books.

There is a book called "Saul" a premi born at 23 weeks and the book is written in his perspective so good so far!

CafeMom Tickers

Strwbrries

I remember reading the Anne Rice Series when they debut. I read the Twilight Series in order to screen them for my teen girls, I considered it a boring read for the most part though I think that the last book was honestly the best one out of all of her books.

With the Anita Blake Series, which start with guilty pleasure...there are so many similiarities between the those books and the Twilight books, I can see why Laurell K. Hamilton has been interviewed to say that Stephenie Meyer ripped her off. A woman and a love triangle between a vamp and a werewolf...

Another good vamp series, minus the romance if youre into undiluted horror is the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley...

I will need to look into The Strain and give it a read. Thanks

Quoting SunshineSmiles:

depends on what kinda books you're into.

I just finished reading The Strain by Guillermo DelToro (series of 3, books 2&3 are not out yet) that was pretty good.

Anne Rice has a good witch series.. i think the first one was called The Witching Hour

I was trying to get into this book called Wicked (its a series) but it sucked, so i stopped, lol.

and now, i'm back to YA, reading Twilight Saga for the 2nd time.

Leahmaria7981

Yeah, I read all the time. I read about a book a week. The only YA books I have read since becoming an adult were teh Harry Potter ones and only because my sister begged and begged me to read them.

Never heard of the books you are talking about, but not too into romance books of any kind. Right now I am on book 5 of King's Dark Tower series. After I finish the series I have about 10 more books lined up to read....lol. I am NEVER out of reading material...lol.

sunshine344
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Quoting so.this.is.love:

I must admit, I LOVE the Twilight books.  It's one of the best book series I have ever read, imo.  I know there are plenty of adults who disagree with me, though.

I just started The Time Travelers Wife last night.  I am only on page 10 because I was interrupted quickly after starting it and haven't been able to read any more yet. 

I am drawn to books that are made into movies.  I like to read the books before seeing the films, though. 

I love twilight to and i just finished my sister's keeper too. I didnt know the time travlers wife was a book i want it! was it expensive? ( hardcover or paperback)

I also like nora robert most of her new books are series of 2 or 3

JeannetteB
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I am on Lunatic Cafe which is book 4 in the Anita blake series.  I read pretty much everything.  I also love Harry Potter too.  The series I just finished was the Sookie Stackhouse series which was pretty good.  Anita Blake is a little better though.

Strwbrries
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM

If you liked the time travelers wife, you might be want to try reading the series that started that genre, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, she has a new book for that series coming out this fall. I actually love that series, it's a great romance between two characters lol. It's one of the few "romance" novels that I am not ashamed of admitting to reading, though again it is action packed.

Quoting so.this.is.love:

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I love books of all kinds. In terms of 'kids/teens' series Ive read Twilight, Harry Potter. I love biography and history and the most recent series i read for 'adults' was Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum Novels. Right now I am reading Dave Barry's Greatest Hits by Dave Barry. Its humor but its for adults..

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

jessica1706
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM

CATHERINE ANDERSON HAS A GREAT SERIES(KENDRICK/COULTER) OR THERE IS JD ROBB THAT HAS THE IN DEATH SERIES ABOUT A DECTIVE THAT TRIES TO SOLVE THE CASES

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)