• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question about school lunches...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is in 2nd grade and wants to pack lunch a few days out of the week, that is fine with me however I have no idea waht to pack for the main food group. I have snacks and sides but what can I pack other than a sandwich??

My other question for you guys, if I pack hot food in a thermos and warm it in the microwave in the morning will it be ok like that til lunch witch is at 11:45? They do NOT have a microwave at school for the students to use.

Thamks ladies for your help.

Terika, mommy to Darren!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM

try food networks website they have tons of ideas for kids lunches

chrandson89
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I used to work in a daycare...and parents would send all kinds of neat things that I would never think to put. The most unique thing was get this....A pickle cut in 4's, with cheese wrpped around it and ham wrapped around that. So crazy right? His mom said that was what he wanted and at 1st she said no, but figured hey, if he will eat all of that it beats only half a sandwhich........

BTW...I tried it....im addicted!

tneal_1983
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Go to Kraft.com They had a whole list of ideas that i have used before.  Really you can pack tuna salad and send crackers or tortillas for him to use with it, make any kinds of wraps, or just make like a party tray of different things only kids size lol. As far as a thermos when you get one look at how long it stays warm, but it should work fine

nana77500
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM

im good at this...my daughter is a little over weight so i pack her lunch everyday.she hasnt gained any weight for a yr but has grown so she is doing good.i usually give her a peanut but and jelly sandwich(yes there is a special table for allergies)a fruit of some sort.(red delicious apples are her favorite.and a 100 cal snack pack....and a water and she can by white milk if she wants.i watch what she eats like a hawk but i dont call it a diet...i try not to keep junk in the house.

bigdog

mom2thebestkid
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM

bump

25beengoodtome
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:33 PM

How about your son's favorite soup in that thermous? Along with a sandwich or cheese & crackers. My kids always wanted something extra for trading with the other kids,"nothing too good,mom."

~Marie~, ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED TO CAFE MOM and loving it!
mom2thebestkid
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

BUMP

mommasbabies77
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM

That actually sounds quite good:)

Quoting chrandson89:

I used to work in a daycare...and parents would send all kinds of neat things that I would never think to put. The most unique thing was get this....A pickle cut in 4's, with cheese wrpped around it and ham wrapped around that. So crazy right? His mom said that was what he wanted and at 1st she said no, but figured hey, if he will eat all of that it beats only half a sandwhich........

BTW...I tried it....im addicted!

shabby.chic
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I'm curious about the thermos to-I bought one for this year, I think I will test it one day before I send it in his lunch.

Some different lunches I pack:

Sliced meat and cheese with crackers, fruit, and yogurt

Grilled cheese, fruit, applesauce, goldfish

I use cookie cutters to cut out the sandwhiches too-he seems to enjoy that, and actually eats them.

Ok, now I'm drawing a blank lol-got distracted. Hope this helped at least a little.

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

mommatothree01
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM

This is my first year packing lunch everyday for 2 kids, except Friday when they have pizza day.  My dd is 8, ds is 4 so trying to find something that is easy to make, and that they will both eat is a bit hard. 

Yesterday I made a super easy pasta salad.  Macaroni, cut up some cucumbers and carrots, mixed it all w/italian dressing and served cold.  You can put tuna or chicken in it for protien.  I also sent along string cheese, fruit and they bought milk at school.

Today was leftover lemon chicken from dinner last night, leftover pasta salad, peaches, vanilla wafers and they bought milk again.

I haven't used a thermos yet, ds is small and I haven't found one he can open alone and dd is a VERY messy eater.  But if I can find one, I have heard that warming it up in the morning leaves food warm, but not hot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)