• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you buy your dresses for formal, very formal events?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

Yeah title pretty much says it all...my husbands ATC for recruiters (army) is in NOVEMBER this year, instead of DECEMBER like it was last year! Ive gotta get going on this...thanks! :)

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Most department stores sell them also store like DEB have them but I think they are targeted towards like the prom.. other than that i have no suggestions. 

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

HybridMom27
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Depends on budget - small budget, Macy's.  medium budget - Nordstrom's.  bigger budget - Bloomingdales.  No budget? eBay/consignment :-)

I'd go black, full length, formal, classic.  I have a few gowns I bought years ago for formal events in college and later for work, and I still wear them - classic lasts, trendy doesn't.  I'd rather spend a few hundred for a dress that can be worn for years than $100 for a dress for a one-time event. 

FannieOakley
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I generally try to op for the consignment stores first.  The bigger the dress, the better because that way I have more fabric to work with when I alter it.  I have a handy sewing machine so this is my first option.  If I can't find anything, I would try JcPenny's or another department store of choice. 

25beengoodtome
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Very, very formal? I'd go to DAVID's BRIDAL and check out the things they have hanging around.

~Marie~, ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED TO CAFE MOM and loving it!
ariannasmom114
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM

u can go to a bridal store many of them sell very nice gowns for stuff like that

DakotaRose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Sorry I can't help ya mama, I make my own but here's a bump for ya! 

SamiJo3889
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Adult sex shops. I know it sounds strange, but I got my SR prom dress at Expressions, you just have to look around to find the right ones. and i can tell you i spent less on my dress then anyone else did.

babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)