• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Results are IN! Third & Final Group b Strep test....

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

After having one positive test and the next negative my third and final test for Group B was Positive AGAIN. =(

So they are going along with the plan to give me Vancomycin While im in Labor.

Im really really Nervous and upset, After thinking it had went away, But im also happy i didnt go into labor before they got my test results back. 

So now its just a waiting game until i truly go into labor to go to the hospital. Im due in 5 days?? I really just hope i dont react badly to the meds and that Wesley Kai makes it out Healthy and happy =)

pregnancy week by week
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM

stork

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You may also want to post on some of CafeMom's pregnancy groups!

Click on this Newcomers Club link to find PREGNANCY Info On CafeMom!

Best wishes!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I'm really sorry you are dealing with all this mess.

But i really wouldn't worry about the vanco.

zgirls009
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

The thing about Group B...is you can test differently every time they test you.  If you're that worried about it, you can deny the antibiotics.  The benefits dont always outweigh the risks.

BellasMomma412
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Thank you =) and thank you for being the main person to be answering all my crazy questions about this situation!! I appreciate it!

Quoting edwardsgirl:

BellasMomma412
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM

True But i would never forgive myself if i had declined meds and something happened to him. 

Quoting zgirls009:

The thing about Group B...is you can test differently every time they test you.  If you're that worried about it, you can deny the antibiotics.  The benefits dont always outweigh the risks.

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Quoting zgirls009:

Unless you know for sure that you are negative when you are delivering your child i wouldn't risk it. As a ob nurse i have seen what can happen to babies who were birthed by GBS-pos mothers who for whatever reason were not treated.

Its not a risk I would be willing to take as a parent, but know that decision is up to each mother to make.

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Quoting BellasMomma412:

Thank you =) and thank you for being the main person to be answering all my crazy questions about this situation!! I appreciate it!

Quoting edwardsgirl:

No problem! Glad i can help you.Or at least i hope i have.

rowansmum
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Just some food for thought since nobody told me until my midwife with my second is that the Broup B test is only valid for a week if that.  It can go away and come back frequently since it's a naturally occuring bacteria in your intestine.  Not to mention that .0225% of the babies born to the 40% of women who have group B strep bacteria present actually get sick.  The antibiotics administered to these women have the potential to create an infection that is resistant to the normal antibiotics given to combat the infection thus resulting in a longer infection and hospital stay.   Or you can simply tell the hospital staff to test the baby after the birth.  There are many studies done on the effectiveness of the antibiotics and they conclude that they aren't effective enough to bother with

Sources:

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)