Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

joint birth day parties??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM
  • 14 Replies

a friend and i are going to do one but its not until Jan...we are inviting other friends that neither of us really know that well   we were wondering how ya'lldo the combined birthday parties...any advice? its our sons first birthdays so we were thinking we could just tell the guests to bring something for the one they know..you know like her friends bring his presents and mine bring my sons but that it would cut costs if we shared everything else.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I would probably never do that..actually i would never do that.

Im not sure how you would do it. im thinking the guests would feel kinda weird buying one child and not the other but they would also feel weird having to buy for a child they dont know. hmmm..

why would you do a joint birthday party with someone you havent really known that long? 

prego7386
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM

its not until jan so we really wouldn't plan anything until maybe dec so if things change it really wouldn't matter. we both live right down the road form each other and our sons play together all of the time...we thought it would be the same only there are presents and cake involved

Quoting MOM22QTS:

Im not sure how you would do it. im thinking the guests would feel kinda weird buying one child and not the other but they would also feel weird having to buy for a child they dont know. hmmm..

why would you do a joint birthday party with someone you havent really known that long? 

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Maybe they are living on a military base and they make friends a lot easier and faster!  Besides that wasn't the question now was it!?

Quoting MOM22QTS:

href="http://www.tickercentral.com">
gilbertgrl627
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM

We did a joint birthday party for my DD and my nephew in 2008. It was for their first birthdays, and my sister and I don't live in the same state as the rest of our family (actually, she lives in Mississippi and I'm in Minnesota, our family's in Florida). We were both going to be in FL at the same time, so we decided to do a joint party for our kids. Since most of the people coming were family, they brought presents for both kids. But for those people who only knew one of the other, they only brought for the kid they knew. Actually, presents weren't even a requirement or anything. I just wanted our family to see the kids.

If someone wants to bring for both kids, that's fine. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to bring for just the kid you knew.

prego7386
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM

yeah we were kinda thinking that.. i mean neither of us have family close by so it would just be friends and we thought it would be a nice way to get kids together and let them have fun

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

We did a joint birthday party for my DD and my nephew in 2008. It was for their first birthdays, and my sister and I don't live in the same state as the rest of our family (actually, she lives in Mississippi and I'm in Minnesota, our family's in Florida). We were both going to be in FL at the same time, so we decided to do a joint party for our kids. Since most of the people coming were family, they brought presents for both kids. But for those people who only knew one of the other, they only brought for the kid they knew. Actually, presents weren't even a requirement or anything. I just wanted our family to see the kids.

If someone wants to bring for both kids, that's fine. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to bring for just the kid you knew.

MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Quoting prego7386:

its not until jan so we really wouldn't plan anything until maybe dec so if things change it really wouldn't matter. we both live right down the road form each other and our sons play together all of the time...we thought it would be the same only there are presents and cake involved

Quoting MOM22QTS:

well if it works for you..i guess thats fine. I just see birthdays as a bit more personal and i wouldnt just opt to share it with someone else unless there  was a good reasoning behind it.

To answer your question, I guess you can mention to your guests that you will be having a joint birthday party  and that they are not obligated to bring a gift..but they can if they like.

as long as the guests know upfront..i guess thats fair enough.

MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quoting ladyraven16:

Maybe they are living on a military base and they make friends a lot easier and faster!  Besides that wasn't the question now was it!?

Quoting MOM22QTS:

maybe...?! i wouldn't know unless i asked. i was just curious.I didnt say it was wrong..if it works for her then thats all that matters.  

Its funny you need to chime in your two cents but i didnt really see you offering any insight to the OP's question. whats the point of you posting?

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Its gonna be more about the cake and ice cream for them anyways lol.

Quoting prego7386:

yeah we were kinda thinking that.. i mean neither of us have family close by so it would just be friends and we thought it would be a nice way to get kids together and let them have fun

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

ashandmasysmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM

My friend and I are actually doing a joint party for my youngest daughter and her son next month. The only difference is the kids have all the same friends since they are in the same playgroup together. There are a few people she is inviting that dont know my daughter and a few I am inviting that dont know her son. We have both spoke with these guest and explained it is a joint party but if they want to bring a gift for only bring for the one they know. We are also doing a MInnie and Mickey Mouse theme since they both love minnie and mickey. All together the party has cost each of us about $50, so its been a lot cheaper then doing it seperate and considering thier birthdays are two days apart it made more sense to us to do it this way.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Haha well I'm the one she's havin the party with so thats why I posted.

Quoting MOM22QTS:

Quoting ladyraven16:

Quoting MOM22QTS:

maybe...?! i wouldn't know unless i asked. i was just curious.I didnt say it was wrong..if it works for her then thats all that matters.  

Its funny you need to chime in your two cents but i didnt really see you offering any insight to the OP's question. whats the point of you posting?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)