Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online College

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM
  • 6 Replies

Right now, I'm trying to enroll in an online classes, for a BS in Psychology. I've talked so far, with University of Phoenix, Ellis University, and am also requesting info with Columbia College. I've been reading reviews, before the final processes of enrolling, and the reviews are so mixed I can't make a decision.

My biggest fear, is putting all this money into a degree which will get me no where in the Psychology career field. I plan using my BS to get a job for actual work experience, while I go to a Campus to finish my Masters, and so forth.

If you have done Online College, What University did you go to? What was the experience like? And did it cause issues finding work later on?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommyMerry7
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I'm in online college right now.  I'm going to the Court Reporting Institute of Dallas.  Ok so it is obviously for court reporters...nothing else.  It is hard!!!  We have to be able to "type" 225 wpm to graduate and make sure you are disciplined to do the work because when you don't physically go to school it can be very easy to "put it off"

I think I know of two people going to Phoenix and I heard good things about it. 

If you ask me...all the online colleges are TOO expensive but everyone has to pay for convenience. 

I don't know about psychology.  I'm in PA and I know someone who graduated and their major was psychology and they can't get a job anywhere...in fact they drive truck and deliver for UPS.  In the meantime he is paying back ALOT of money and he says it was for "nothing"  Go figure.   

Jocelyn_mom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Well I dont think I will be much help but I did the same thing as you and looked at a lot of online colleges. I actually went and talked to the people at Uiversity of Phoenix there is a campus near where I live. I decided to go with them because to me they was a better fit for me. If there is a campus near you I would say go and visit and talk to them. I'm actually starting there in September. I wish you luck.. 

Tinyhourglass
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Ok I do not know all the details BUT I did just receive a HUGE whammy!!!  My SO did online college....Kaplan University.  I came in the picture towards the end...couple semesters before graduation.  He got a BA in Paralegal by the way.  He used student loans to finance his education.  He has yet to recieve his degree.  If you google his name, it will list him as a Kaplan graduate but no paperwork.  Now the whammy you ask?? $ 47000.00 is the bill.  His loans became due 1 month after graduation....not the standard 6.  Min pmt is 548 per month?  He works at a local department store making 8.50 an hour & owes almost 600 per month.  he is in arrears each month.  Ask every question you can think of.  Be sure to find out if Pell Grants can be applied to tuition.  And dont fall for the...Need a little to tide you over? speil.  good luck.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

breezybabes20
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I'm applying for as many scholarships as possible, my husband is Military, and a Disable Vet, so its a little easier in that area for me. I just did my FAFSA, the Pell Grant. Its about 750 per class, with 120 credit hours. They told me it would be about 16,000 a year. I haven't decided what I think about student loans. The financial part worries me, because I'm no expert at the techinical, financial fine print things.

Quoting Tinyhourglass:

Ok I do not know all the details BUT I did just receive a HUGE whammy!!!  My SO did online college....Kaplan University.  I came in the picture towards the end...couple semesters before graduation.  He got a BA in Paralegal by the way.  He used student loans to finance his education.  He has yet to recieve his degree.  If you google his name, it will list him as a Kaplan graduate but no paperwork.  Now the whammy you ask?? $ 47000.00 is the bill.  His loans became due 1 month after graduation....not the standard 6.  Min pmt is 548 per month?  He works at a local department store making 8.50 an hour & owes almost 600 per month.  he is in arrears each month.  Ask every question you can think of.  Be sure to find out if Pell Grants can be applied to tuition.  And dont fall for the...Need a little to tide you over? speil.  good luck.

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Ok, I've never taken classes online.  My husband is military and is working on his associates online so his classes are all paid through TA.  I do have a BA, but I went to a traditional 4 yr school and took all classes on site.  I will say one thing about taking out a loan.  Only accept a federal Stafford loan.  You probably will qualify for a Pell Grant as well, but that won't be enough if the tuition if $16K a year.  Those private student loans are just as bad as credit card companies.  I have federal student loans and have no problems with it.  You won't owe anything until you graduate, then you have a 6 month deferment period to look for a job before you have to start paying.  I financed about $10K of my education over 4 years through loans.  I got a lot of scholarship money to cover the rest because I went to a private college.  I currently owe about $6K left and my interest rate is less than 2%.  My monthly payments are usually around $75 a month, but I can always pay more on them which is what I have been doing.  I consolidated my loans into one loan and locked in the interest rate so it will never go up.  I have 10 years to pay off my loan.  I graduated in 2005 so I have until 2015 to pay it off.  There are two types of stafford loans.  One loan, the interest is deferred until you graduate, the other, you pay the interest while in school.  My interest was deferred until I graduated.  I wish I could get a Pell Grant for my master's program I want to pursue.  Education is expensive!  You just don't want to take out a bunch of loans, then be left with a high monthly payment and a high interest rate that you can't possibly pay.  Even my federal loans, they will work with you if you are experiencing financial hardship as far as getting a forbearance or lowering your payments until you get back on your feet.

Quoting breezybabes20:

I'm applying for as many scholarships as possible, my husband is Military, and a Disable Vet, so its a little easier in that area for me. I just did my FAFSA, the Pell Grant. Its about 750 per class, with 120 credit hours. They told me it would be about 16,000 a year. I haven't decided what I think about student loans. The financial part worries me, because I'm no expert at the techinical, financial fine print things.

Quoting Tinyhourglass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)