Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really need some potty training help! PLEASE!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok, here is what is going on. I have a 3 year old and we have decided to finally potty train. We let her diapers run out and talked it up and said once the diapers are gone we are going on the big girl potty. We have been trying for a short time but I am wondering if she is ready or if there are differnt methods we should try. She will only sit on the potty for a few seconds and then says she is done. Her attention span is very short. And she doesn't seem to understand that she needs to go in the potty instead of in her underware. She wants to sit on the potty after she has had an accident. Any suggestions??!! I know she is old enough but I still wonder if she is ready. Please help!

pregnancy calendar

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stephNcary
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

id say that shes old enough...but i would maybe try letting her run around the house completely naked for a couple days. i wonder if shes not sure what the sensation is until its too late. shes at least sitting on the potty which is a good start. will she poo on the potty? from what i hear most children start with that and then comes the peeing...its the harder of the two and easier to distinguish the I gotta go feeling...i wish you luck :)

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

audriesmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM

We did a potty party.  I went to Walmart and target and got a bunch of little prizes and wrapped them.  I got her big girl underwear and wrapped them.  Then on Saturday morning before she woke up I decorated the house with streamers and balloons and made a pin the tail on the potty.  When she woke up we started teh potty party and she opened her underwear.  Everything we did was devoted to it.  We would set a timer and everytime it went off we took her potty and she got a prize to open.  I found potty coloring pages online and we checked out a bunch of potty books from the library.  We did this on Saturday and Sunday and then Sunday night my family came over for dinner and all brought underwear for her.  I made cupcakes.  She was completely potty trained by Sunday night.  But we spent the rest of the week really concentrating on it.  Then on Friday my husband brought home a mini Cinderella cake that I had ordered for her that said Good Job Audrie. 

cdnmom24
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM

SHe is old enough. My daughter is almost and we are working on it too. I keep a pile of books just for her in the bathroom, and they are just for potty time. We also bought the Elmo's Potty Time dvd and she loves it. So far it is working out really good.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

The Potty Training Moms Support ...

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

lovemymarine306
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM

make sitting on the potty fun.  i play music for my dd and she will just sit there for half an hour....and normally i can't get her to stay in one spot for more than 5 seconds!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

meegs23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I just put DD in underwear.  I made her go sit every 20 minutes.  She goes like a pro.  I also had a basket of books next to the toilet for her to read while she sat.  I made 2 charts- One that says "Elizabeth's Peepers" and they other "Elizabeth's Poopies"  She gets a sticker everytime she goes.  The stickers are so cute- got them in the $1 bins at Target.  There are 300 of them in a package.  I'll try and get a picture of them- worked like a charm.  She would constantly go just to get a sticker lol.

25beengoodtome
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Do you let her join you when you need to use use the potty? Make it seem like fun, sing silly Pee-on the potty songs, make silly faces. We did the silence, "who's gonna Pee first?"game.The winner gets to wash her hands first! And sing a silly song about wash my hands with soap 'n water, cause it makes me fe-ee-eel good! Just be silly, she'll relax and get the hang of it.

~Marie~, ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED TO CAFE MOM and loving it!
LMcKnight22
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I take mine every half hour or so to go in the beginning and then maybe an hour or so as a few weeks go by.  I make a big deal out of the underwear, as well.  Once they go, we sing and clap for them.  I think the key is reminding her so she can begin associating the sensation with the act (need to go now).  Good luck!

mommy062706
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Thank you everyone for your posts! You all have some great ideas! So far she hasn't gone pee or poop on the potty yet but I am hopeful!

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Read her a book while she sits there so she will sit longer....Give it at least 2 weeks though before you think shes not gonna get it....I started my son at 19mo and it took at least 2 weeks for him to fully understand not to go in his underware...

href="http://www.tickercentral.com">
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)