• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Booster seat with LATCH?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know what boosters (if any) have LATCH? 

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Anyone?

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM

try the car seat saftey group they are certified techs in there

my reason for getting up everyday she is 3 and she is my world.

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I am not a tech..

There are different kinds of booster seats out there.

There are weight limits on using a latch for your seat.  You can NOT use both latch and the seat belt together so if you are using a booster with out a harness then no you can not use the latch (I am not sure if there are any boosters that have the latch system, now the combo car seat and boosters have the latch but again you can not use the seat belt and latch together).

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

Are you asking in reference to your 2 year old?

Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM

No, not for my son.  My nephew is going to be staying with my mom for a while, he's 5, and she doesn't have a carseat for him.  We're clearly not to the booster seat stage yet (and I have no plans on it anytime soon), but it just doesn't seem right to me not to have the seat secured, but if that's what's recommended, then so be it.  Thanks for your info.

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Okay I see!  I am relieved you were not asking about your 2 year old, lol!  But some people do not know, just making sure!

How much does he weigh? With most car seats even if he was in a 5 point harnessed car seat.  I know with my car seat once my son hits 48 lbs.  I have to use the seat belt for the install. 

Now neither the latch or the seat belt is any safer over the other.  The latch has not been proven safer than the seat belt. 

Quoting Greenstone920:

No, not for my son.  My nephew is going to be staying with my mom for a while, he's 5, and she doesn't have a carseat for him.  We're clearly not to the booster seat stage yet (and I have no plans on it anytime soon), but it just doesn't seem right to me not to have the seat secured, but if that's what's recommended, then so be it.  Thanks for your info.

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

mommy2aftan
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM

There are a couple of boosters that have LATCH. Can't think of them off the top of my head, though, b/c we aren't near booster age. Maybe someone else will know. I know we can use our Frontier in booster mode w/ LATCH. But I wanted to let you know that a latchable booster doesn't have anything to do w/ how it performs in a crash. The purpose of a latchable booster is so that when the booster is not occupied the restraint won't go flying in a crash. Usually, when you have an unoccupied booster, you strap it in w/ the seatbelt, but if you have a latchable booster you don't have to strap it in w/ the seatbelt. Boosters w/out latch are perfectly safe and are designed to move w/ the child in a crash. I hope that helps.

Cognito
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Most boosters are designed to be used without LATCH, but there are a few that have the ability. I know Clek makes one, but it's a backless and pricey. A high back Turbo Booster is a reasonably priced option. They are perfectly safe without being LATCHed. Just be sure to have your mom take it out of the car when he's not with her or keep the seatbelt buckled around it even when it's not occupied. That way it wouldn't become a projectile in an accident.

I'm glad to hear it's not for your 2yr old. We've been seeing A LOT of posts about 2yr olds in booster, FFing infant seats & other unsafe things lately.

Quoting Greenstone920:

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

I'm passionate about Carseat Safety. See why at www.kyledavidmiller.org.

Milo Emery 12-13-06 Safely Harnessed in a Britax Regent (3rd slots), Graco Nautilus (3rd slots) & Apex 65 (4th slots). He's a BIG boy!

Jareth Remy 5-6-08 Officially Extended Rear Facing in a Britax Boulveard, Graco Safe Seat Step 1 (middle slots) & Cosco Scenera. Considering the Graco My Ride 65 to replace the SS1.

Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Thanks.  I'm probably going to suggest that she get the Graco Turbo booster, I like it's ratings on Consumer reports, and I think the price is reasonable.  I know my nephew will be with her most of the time, as she's a teacher, and he'll be going to school with her.  But I will tell her about using the seat belt when not in use, or taking it out. 

I've seen many of the crazy car seat posts myself, and it boggles my mind.  I feel guilty as it is for turning my son around at 1 year, because I didn't know any better.  But I know he'll be harnessed for a long as possible in his current seat, until he out grows it (and then it will be booster time), and he still has plenty of room to grow in it.  He turns 3 next month, and although he would meet the bare minimum requirements (he's 31 lbs and 38" tall), there's no way in hell that I would put him in a booster unless it was an emergency/last resort - it would better than no car seat. 

Quoting Cognito:

Most boosters are designed to be used without LATCH, but there are a few that have the ability. I know Clek makes one, but it's a backless and pricey. A high back Turbo Booster is a reasonably priced option. They are perfectly safe without being LATCHed. Just be sure to have your mom take it out of the car when he's not with her or keep the seatbelt buckled around it even when it's not occupied. That way it wouldn't become a projectile in an accident.

I'm glad to hear it's not for your 2yr old. We've been seeing A LOT of posts about 2yr olds in booster, FFing infant seats & other unsafe things lately.

Quoting Greenstone920:

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

austinsm0mmy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

The turbo booster is a great seat and fits most kids well so its a pretty safe bet.

There boosters that can be used with latch but they are usually pretty pricey - and latching a booster isn't at all necessary.

Don't feel guilty for turning your child at a year- you made the best decision you could with the information you had just be grateful nothing ever happened and focus on what you can do now.  A Lot of the car seat mama's on here turned their kids before they knew better.  Good job keeping him harness - it sound like he has a while to go before he needs a booster. 

Quoting Greenstone920:

Thanks.  I'm probably going to suggest that she get the Graco Turbo booster, I like it's ratings on Consumer reports, and I think the price is reasonable.  I know my nephew will be with her most of the time, as she's a teacher, and he'll be going to school with her.  But I will tell her about using the seat belt when not in use, or taking it out. 

I've seen many of the crazy car seat posts myself, and it boggles my mind.  I feel guilty as it is for turning my son around at 1 year, because I didn't know any better.  But I know he'll be harnessed for a long as possible in his current seat, until he out grows it (and then it will be booster time), and he still has plenty of room to grow in it.  He turns 3 next month, and although he would meet the bare minimum requirements (he's 31 lbs and 38" tall), there's no way in hell that I would put him in a booster unless it was an emergency/last resort - it would better than no car seat. 

Quoting Cognito:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Quoting momma2-3boys:

Quoting Greenstone920:

Anyone?

Child Passanger Safety Technician - Saving lives one car seat at a time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)