Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you want from your child's teacher?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM
  • 28 Replies

School is starting in two weeks and my little girls are heading off to kindergarten. But this isn't about them and their teachers. It's about me and my job as a teacher. I try hard to make the year go well for both the parents and the students. What are somethings that you wish your child's teacher would do? I am curiousto see if there is more reasonable things  that I could be doing to make the year run smoothly.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM

We are a homeschool family, and one of the reasons is because of the mean little bully children in the schools. Unfortunately, they grow to be big bully adults later on.. as is seen daily on this site. If I could offer one suggestion, it would be.... protect the nice, innocent children!

aarkat
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM

my son is starting his 2nd year in preschool (montessori), and i think his teacher is great.  one thing i really appreciate is that she sends us monthly updates (on wordpress) on all the things they've been learning about in school.  She also does show and tell themes associated with whatever they are learning about at school.

have fun, and thank you!  :)

ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

lol,honestly i read the title and was like.... A BREAK! LOL!    NO school age kids yet

i am a teen mommy to one, a wife to a wonderful soldier,i have no religious preferance, i chose to vax, i love to use disposable diapers, i couldnt wait till i could go forward facing, im a huge fan of co-sleeping, i spank and do time out, i let her cry it out, i smoke, i have tattoos, i speak my mind (even when you didnt ask me), i let my kid have "junkfood"! now can i help you or you just going to complain some more?

beckylou26
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I have a special needs child and I absolutely love his special ed teacher for her honesty. she tells me how he is doing and what he is doing. his 1st spec. ed. teacher tried to paint rosey pictures about how he was doing and that he was just "wonderful" in class. however,at home,i knew he hits,bites and has tantrums. his new teacher let me know that yes he hits her,bites her and she offered up solutions to helping him (he is autistic). Also, she just really seems to care about him and how he progresses. I know that not all teachers and students are good mixes. I imagine that a teacher might not like a paticular student. with that said,my 2nd son will start pre-k this sept. and i just hope that they will make him and us feel important and that they do care about his progress. i don't expect special treatment,I just don't want him to be a number or any child for that matter. he's there to learn and i hope that whoever is working with him really cares. because i do too.

tuesday10
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Just to let us know if anything changes in her behavior or school work.  Monthly updates at least.  We had a great kindergarden teacher last year, but she was just so grandmotherly didn't have any structure and we never knew what was going on in that classroom.

two4one
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Seriously, bullying is one of the reasons I went into teaching. i was picked on as a child, and I DO NOT tolerate it in my classroom. Nothing gets me more upset than to see someone bullied.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

We are a homeschool family, and one of the reasons is because of the mean little bully children in the schools. Unfortunately, they grow to be big bully adults later on.. as is seen daily on this site. If I could offer one suggestion, it would be.... protect the nice, innocent children!

Mom of twins

two4one
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I do something liek that on a website, though I was thinking of sending weekly updates as well.

Quoting aarkat:

my son is starting his 2nd year in preschool (montessori), and i think his teacher is great.  one thing i really appreciate is that she sends us monthly updates (on wordpress) on all the things they've been learning about in school.  She also does show and tell themes associated with whatever they are learning about at school.

have fun, and thank you!  :)

Mom of twins

two4one
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Yeah, this is something I've learned to do. I used to try to avoid giving the "bad" updates, but nothing is accomplished by that.

Quoting beckylou26:

I have a special needs child and I absolutely love his special ed teacher for her honesty. she tells me how he is doing and what he is doing. his 1st spec. ed. teacher tried to paint rosey pictures about how he was doing and that he was just "wonderful" in class. however,at home,i knew he hits,bites and has tantrums. his new teacher let me know that yes he hits her,bites her and she offered up solutions to helping him (he is autistic). Also, she just really seems to care about him and how he progresses. I know that not all teachers and students are good mixes. I imagine that a teacher might not like a paticular student. with that said,my 2nd son will start pre-k this sept. and i just hope that they will make him and us feel important and that they do care about his progress. i don't expect special treatment,I just don't want him to be a number or any child for that matter. he's there to learn and i hope that whoever is working with him really cares. because i do too.

Mom of twins

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I know! I have such a heart for children, mostly due to what I have witnessed others go through over the years at the hands of tormenters.... adult and children, alike.

FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I wish the teachers here would pay more attention to what the kids are doing to eachother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)