• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New PA Topic *POLL*

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think the number would go down?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Do you think the number of people on PA would go down if the government would spend more time making "dead beat dads" pay child support? I was just thinking about this, I know if my kid's father's would pay their child support or at least help out somewhat with money I probably wouldn't need foodstamps or medicaid. What do you guys think?

BTW by "dead beat dads" I mean the ones who disappear and pretend like they don't have a kid, they don't call, they don't visit, ect. Not fathers who actually care about their children and make an effort. I'm not bashing all dads who don't have custody.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kabbima
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Drastically? Probably not, but I do think it would make a slight difference in the numbers if some of the dead beat parents took care of their kids financially.

Support Abigayle and our team for the Diabetes walk for the cure!!

http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=87370763

FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM

bump

apeclark2008
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Agreed!!!

Quoting kabbima:

Drastically? Probably not, but I do think it would make a slight difference in the numbers if some of the dead beat parents took care of their kids financially.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM

no. some men have no earning capability and are losers and will just stay in jail before they pay . it might go down a little but not alot. 

savannahnhi
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  popcorn time.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM

If a woman is on PA...and DOES receive child support does that make her a dead beat?

I don't necessarily think that just because someone cant afford to support their child....man or woman...makes them a deadbeat.

Aside from that...I don't really know anyone that has "gotten away" without paying child support...or facing the consequences of not doing so.

I think the number of people on PA would go down if the restrictions got tighter...and if they required more of people on PA. As in working...or searching for work..for EVERY able bodied adult in the household...benefits not going up when more children are born...and people not being rewarded for making bad decisions.

FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Did you miss the "BTW" part? I dont consider somebody who cant afford to support their child a deadbeat I was refering to men and/or women who just dont bother with the child at all, they want nothing to do with them, they would just rather disapear and pretend they never had a kid.

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

If a woman is on PA...and DOES receive child support does that make her a dead beat?

I don't necessarily think that just because someone cant afford to support their child....man or woman...makes them a deadbeat.

Aside from that...I don't really know anyone that has "gotten away" without paying child support...or facing the consequences of not doing so.

I think the number of people on PA would go down if the restrictions got tighter...and if they required more of people on PA. As in working...or searching for work..for EVERY able bodied adult in the household...benefits not going up when more children are born...and people not being rewarded for making bad decisions.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Quoting FaerieMommie23:

Did you miss the "BTW" part? I dont consider somebody who cant afford to support their child a deadbeat I was refering to men and/or women who just dont bother with the child at all, they want nothing to do with them, they would just rather disapear and pretend they never had a kid.

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

I saw your edit...but then your post made no sense...so I figured I misunderstood.

Spending time with a child does not put food in their stomach...so I don't see how that would affect whether or not they are on PA.

FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

Quoting FaerieMommie23:

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

I saw your edit...but then your post made no sense...so I figured I misunderstood.

Spending time with a child does not put food in their stomach...so I don't see how that would affect whether or not they are on PA.

I'm saying if the goverment spent more time making these types of fathers pay child support to help support the child in other words more single moms could afford to buy the food on their own. I'm not talking about them spending time with the kids.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Quoting FaerieMommie23:

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

Quoting FaerieMommie23:

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

I'm saying if the goverment spent more time making these types of fathers pay child support to help support the child in other words more single moms could afford to buy the food on their own. I'm not talking about them spending time with the kids.

Well whats your solution?

People that I know who did not pay child support were put in jail...lost their licenses...had tax returns taken...garnish wages...what else can they do? They cant make someone get a job and have an income...they can only give them consequences of they don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)