Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do i dare cut my 2 year olds hair?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm a groomer and brought home my shears(by shears i mean scissors, not clippers)(i disinfected them don't worry!) with the intend of cutting Quinton's hair, he just turned 2 on the 17th and doesn't like to sit still, so i'm not sure how it would go over lol, anyone have any words of advice? or words of caution lol, have you ever cut your toddlers hair? do you recommend it, or are you yelling through your computer saying "don't do it" lol

Here are 2 pictures to show how badly he needs a hair cut lol

this one is from 7/26

And this one is from last week

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojomommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM

do it when he's asleep. I do my son's hair when he was awake and i had someone hold him when he was little but i never had any problems cutting his hair 

FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I think it looks really cute in that second picture I would leave it.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Its so beautiful! Dont cut it! But if you must I suggest making it a two person job so no one gets cut or hurt. One person to distract and one person to cut. Good luck.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

newagemom700
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM

AHHHH!!!! I love his curls! I leave by DS's hair longer( Like hockey hair almost...) cause he has really curly hair also....I would just trim it up some......and what i did with my DS is gave him a sucker/lollipop to get him to sit still.....Good Luck momma! If you do decide to cut it, please post after pictures!!!!

tagable
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I cut my sons hair when he was about 18 months old the first time.  We used clippers bought from the dollar store that are designed for human hair, but I would think the groomers would work.  My husband held him and he kinda freaked anytime I would get near his ears other than that he did alright.  Make sure you have some help and with his hair as long as it is I would use scissors to trim it first then decide if you want to cut it shorter.

PinkHairedGirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I'm a groomer too. There is no way I would attempt to cut a kid's hair! Even my own. LOL!! I'd pay someone to do it! LOL!!

I am a natural, out of hospital birthing, exclusively breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, delayed selective vaccinating, baby food making, stay at home, or bring baby to work, husband loving, vegetarian, animal loving, dog crazy, dog rescuing, cat rescuing, pit bull loving, anti breeding, animal activist, environmentalist, bisexual, recovering addict, pro choice, atheist, married to a wonderful man, and mom at 20 years old, to four dogs, five cats, and a beautiful baby girl named Summer Lillie, born July 3, 2008!

rickys_mom19
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM

i wouldnt cut it short, just trim it a little, those curls are adorable. just dont do what my husband did and shave it off, my poor little boy looks funny:

after

before (best i had of his hair)

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

When my husband was lttle he had curls well his baby sitter decided to go cut his hair without his moms permission and cut off all his curls...they never came back.

Peanut_Butter
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

do your shears have attachments like barber clippers??

I have clippers and I just sit aidan down and do a 3 on the sides and a 6 on the top. you have to kind of dance around him. I put him in his high chair with the back part leaned back so I could get the back of his head, may even want to give him a treat is he gets too crazy.

Rachel1786
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I really don't want to cut it, but the back gets so knotted and he hates when i brush it, so i just wanted to take a little off to help keep it from knotting up so much, apparently he was pretty good for his first hair cut, but i wouldn't know, Anthony had his mom do it while i was at work(I'm still fuming from that and it was Easter weekend)

depending on his mood i may try when Anthony gets home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)