Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age would you allow.....

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: what age would you let your child ride their bike a few blocks with no adult

Options:

5 or 6

7 or 8

9 or 10

11-12

older than 12

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 76

View Results

your  child to ride  their bike or scooter around the  neighborhood  with no adult.  Not just in front of the house but a few blocks.  I dont want this to be a debate so feel feel just to vote if you want,

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I would say older than 12 but im not sure how much older. It depends on their maturity, my neighborhood and their behavior.  

MandyOs
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I would say 11 or 12, depending on the child.

jennamil47
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I would definitely say older than 12.   

preview image

proud working mom

dezzysworld
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I think it depends on the neighborhood. I live in a great neighborhood where all the kids kind of group toghether. 

PinkHairedGirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:26 PM

In my neighborhood, away from busy streets, during the day, with friends, 7 or 8. I live in a verry kid friendly neighborhood, with a lot of fun side streets with minimal traffic to ride around on.

I am a natural, out of hospital birthing, exclusively breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, delayed selective vaccinating, baby food making, stay at home, or bring baby to work, husband loving, vegetarian, animal loving, dog crazy, dog rescuing, cat rescuing, pit bull loving, anti breeding, animal activist, environmentalist, bisexual, recovering addict, pro choice, atheist, married to a wonderful man, and mom at 20 years old, to four dogs, five cats, and a beautiful baby girl named Summer Lillie, born July 3, 2008!

prego7386

its hard to tell...a lot of factors come to mind...will they be with other kids, will they be going straight to someones house, will they be by themselves, how busy is the street, what is the neighbor hood and those close by like....where i live now i would say 8 or 9 but if i lived out in town prob older...it just really depends on the situation.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Well we live on a military base so at the age of 10 you get your military id so in our home that opens you up to more freedom's. My son is now able to ride his bike around the half mile we have 3 blocks connected which is equal to a half mile.

An soon he'll be escourting his sister every Wed. and Fri. on there bikes to and from school as I'll be in a class and we all get out of class at the same time. We have no other options for the ones who want to bash.

BTW my DS is 10 every soon 11 (Sept. 18) and DD turned 9 yesterday.

Jenn

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
Ziggy-Stardust

I agree.

Quoting MOM22QTS:

I would say older than 12 but im not sure how much older. It depends on their maturity, my neighborhood and their behavior.  

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

so.this.is.love
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

HUH?!?!?! 17% of the people have answered 7 or 8 years old? No wonder so many children get abducted now days.

Absolutely NOT before the age of 12.  My daughter will not be allowed to stay home alone before that time, so why in the hell would i let her wander the neighborhood alone...falling prey to any sicko that may see her, completely alone, falling into their trap?

Crazy...I can not believe so many parents don't see the danger they are putting their children into....and I don't care how judgemental I sound.

MommyMerry7
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I struggle with stuff like this all the time and then I hear about human trafficking and all that horrible stuff and I just don't want my kids going anywhere.  I know that isn't reality and they need their freedom but there are too many FREAKS out there!!! 

I never know what age to let my kids do anything...is she old enough for this or that?  Being a parent is HARD!!!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)