Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deep question, don't dive in if your not prepared.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM
  • 365 Replies

Poll

Question: Take it further or let it go?

Options:

Take it further, don't let yourself be discriminated agianst, fight for equality.

let it go

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 632

View Results

Here is my dilema.  I've been going to this women only gym for over a year and I really like it.  But latley they've been playing a christian radio station and because it's from overhead speakers,  everyone hears it.  I should say now that I'm non religious and I found it rather insulting that they would be so segregating.  So I complained about it on Saturday, then agian Monday morning.  That morning they changed the radio to a different station.  At the end of my work out I approached the owner (the only male in the building) and mentioned to him about the choice of music.  He brushed it off saying that a group of ladies that come in early in the morning like to listen to it.  I told him that if this was a religious affiliated gym, that it should of been on the contract.  I then started to question him about the media the kids were seeing or hearing in the nursery, was it sometimes Christian material?  He started getting offended and saying that the kids only watch nickelodeon or disney, they're not trying to brain wash them.  I tried to ask him what the nursery workers would say to a parent who requested them to put in a christian cartoon, but he talked over me and I could see he was starting to get more aggitated.  So I backed off the conversation with the hope that things were resolved.  When I came in this morning, the christian radio station was playing agian.  I tried to put my headphones on and ignore it, I kept telling myself that as long as my son wasn't watching christian geared material in the nursery, that I was a big girl and could just ignore it.  But the music was so loud I had no choice but to listen to it over my headphones, and I have some books-on-tape on my mp3 player, what should I do then?    I went up to the counter and asked them to change the music and they did, no problem.  But when I go in tomorrow, it will be playing, I know this now.  I'm going to walmart to buy headphones that will better block out background noise, but I feel like I'm being discriminated agianst here.  If they were to play, lets say...Satanic themed music over the speaker system, I'm positive every Christian in the building would be up in arms and questioning what goes on in the nursery.  I'm not saying Christianity is evil, I'm saying I don't believe in it and I don't want my kid learning it(yet) about as much as a Christian doesn't want their kid learning satanism.   So I'm adding a poll, should I take this further, or buy the head phones, live out my contract, and get the hell out of there.

Update:

Let me point out that I signed a CONTRACT that I pay monthly on, so "just don't go there" is not an option.  I have 5 months left on it.  I don't want to break the contract, but I have no problem asking them to do so,  but if they say no, then what?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_10
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

deal with it....a little bit of religion don't hurt anyone.....

honestycounts
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Quoting mommy_10:

Then to be equal righted, they should play some muslim religious music (there are more muslims than christians in the world), and work their way down the list of different religious music.  That sounds like fun, and non discrimenatory.  Who wants to work out to gospel music anyway?

Michellemom372
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM

she shouldnt have to deal with something that offends her...i know it would bother me to

Quoting mommy_10:

Sign by Danasoft - For Backgrounds and Layouts

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Well, I can't really vote, 'cause I could go both ways.  You're obviously right, I guess it just depends on if its worth the fight to you...  How much do you like it there?  What time is left in your contract?  You probobly could use the affiliation tactic and try and get out of your contract....  good luck!

With light and love.

iheartmyshaman

SOME people don't like religion at all, so it is in their right to ask for them to change the station.

I think you should get out of there once your contract is up, OP, but don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.

Quoting mommy_10:

myfoursonsks

I would say if the majority of the club does not mind or even likes it this way, that you may just need to find a new gym.  It is is privately owned, they can play whatever music they want.  If you have a contract, I would ask if they would waive any fees or fines and let it be broken since the club does not really suit your needs.

I am non-Christian and I totally understand, but you really need to choose your battles.  This isn't a place that you must attend and it is not a government building.

mandalouwhotn

Look up the definition of discrimination...and thats not it.  Businesses can choose how they want tooperate and its your decision whether to use those businesses or not.  The YMCA is a christian based gym, so if you don't like ti cancel your membership.  If they give you a hrd time about canceling your membership when you tell them why, then you might have a case.

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I would just deal with it. If you're using headphones and they are only playing Nick and Disney in the nursery then I don't really see the big issue. I especially don't see it if you go up to the counter and they change it when you ask.

missingbelle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

OMG....Seriously thats rediculous ! Its music who cares get some headphones or ask them to change it. why cant we all just get the fuck along and not GIve a damn about cheesey crap !! Who cares if people pray in public, who cares if kids want a prayer group in schools , who cares if anyone says the pledge of alliegence  and WHO CARES IF THERE IS CHRISTIAN MUSIC PLAYING....Ask them to change the station, simple.

alwaysyoung
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Well, I can't really vote, 'cause I could go both ways.  You're obviously right, I guess it just depends on if its worth the fight to you...  How much do you like it there?  What time is left in your contract?  You probobly could use the affiliation tactic and try and get out of your contract....  good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)