Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 7 year old son just came in and said that his friend is really hungry.  He told me that his friend is not allowed to go in his own home when his mom isn't home.  He said the mom is at work and the step-dad is home.  Supposedly, if he is caught in the house, he will get into trouble.

I think I am just going to feed the kid and then go to his house tonight and find out what is going on.  I want to hope this isn't true.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Document everything about this kid! IT was the same crap when my mom and dad were together. My mom was at work, we weren't allowed in the house so my dad could have his girl friends over. Even in the snow! Document and get CPS involved for this kid!

ramadan mubarak

dbush0584
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM

ummmm..YEAH!!  the babys hungry...feeed him!!!!!!! 

Angelbluewingsz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM

wow- I'd feed him up but I would definately go have a nice chat with mom and dad later... when i was growing up we were not allowed in the house while it was daylight out but mom would make sure we had been fed... Maybe offer to help keep an eye on him?

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I would in no way go over there, don't put yourself in danger.  I woudl call the cops, cps see what you can do, w/out making the little boy go home so he won't get in trouble.  I would make sure that he knows tha the is welcome in your home at anytime! Just be there for him and keep him in  your home whenever you can until you figure out what you are going to do

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM

My worry is that the boys are exaggerating though.  Maybe he just wanted to eat with us.  I don't like reporting something that I do not know for a fact myself.  Although, I am a mandatory reporter so I can't let things slide too much.  I do see the boy outside during the day a lot, but that doesn't mean he CAN'T go home, kwim?  I have noticed when my boys can't go outside to play, he will stick around the house until they can.  I just don't really want to get CPS involved until I get a feel for the type of people that they are.

Quoting isra1986:

Document everything about this kid! IT was the same crap when my mom and dad were together. My mom was at work, we weren't allowed in the house so my dad could have his girl friends over. Even in the snow! Document and get CPS involved for this kid!

iheartmyshaman
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Better safe than sorry.  If he is exaggerating, then the parents will be notified and take care of it.  If he isn't, and is telling the truth, then this will be straightened out.  Because if it's the truth, that's bullshit.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

My worry is that the boys are exaggerating though.  Maybe he just wanted to eat with us.  I don't like reporting something that I do not know for a fact myself.  Although, I am a mandatory reporter so I can't let things slide too much.  I do see the boy outside during the day a lot, but that doesn't mean he CAN'T go home, kwim?  I have noticed when my boys can't go outside to play, he will stick around the house until they can.  I just don't really want to get CPS involved until I get a feel for the type of people that they are.

Quoting isra1986:

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM

That's the bad thing.  I can't keep him over here because I do home daycare and it would be against the licensing requirements.  I am not too worried about approaching them because we live on an army base.  Most of the people that are in the military and have families don't want to mess up too much because they can lose their career.  It is always the young single ones that I see doing stupid stuff.  Although, my 7 year old told me not to talk to the step dad because he looks scary because he has a weird eye.

I am going to talk to the mom alone if I can.  Maybe she told her son to not stay at home because they step dad is mean to him or something is going on in the relationship.  If that is the case and it is something she is working on, I will tell her that he can come over here to eat and can play outside with my kids during the day.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I would in no way go over there, don't put yourself in danger.  I woudl call the cops, cps see what you can do, w/out making the little boy go home so he won't get in trouble.  I would make sure that he knows tha the is welcome in your home at anytime! Just be there for him and keep him in  your home whenever you can until you figure out what you are going to do

isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Well, unfortunatly people though my sister and I were exagerating too. That's why we were always freaking sick and cold and too hot in the summer! If you see the kid out a lot and he is telling you he is not allowed in the house, report it! Take action for this kid!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Quoting isra1986:

ramadan mubarak

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Maybe I need to get the boy in here and ask him directly.  I was getting this all from my son. 

Quoting isra1986:

Well, unfortunatly people though my sister and I were exagerating too. That's why we were always freaking sick and cold and too hot in the summer! If you see the kid out a lot and he is telling you he is not allowed in the house, report it! Take action for this kid!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Quoting isra1986:

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I just talked to the boy.  It isn't that his parents told then that he isn't allowed to come home.  It is because he is scared to be home alone with his step-dad.  He wouldn't go into details with me really.  He really wasn't answering anything at first, but did say that it wasn't that he was exactly "not allowed" to go home.  I then told him that if he is scared to be home because of his step-dad then he needs to tell someone.  I asked if this was the case and he shook his head yes.

Ugghh.  I don't feel any better.  Depending on what the mom says, I may be calling the MP's tonight.  I do want to talk to her though.  This may be worse that I realize.  She may be abused as well for all I know.  I want to see these people with my own eyes.  Until I get this figured out, I will make sure he is safe during the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)