• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(Edited) $150 to move cable from one wall to another wall? Please help!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

We are having a cable line moved from the living room to the kitchen... about 12 feet. We are being charged $150.00. Does this sound correct to you?

ADDED:

My husband's cousin is the one moving the cable line (we have a crawl space under the house - he just pulled from one outlet, drilled a hole in the other wall, and slipped the line through the wall). My hubby thought it would be $150.00 to install the cable AND set up the swingset, but when I gave his cousin the check, he said it was $150 each - $300 total. I can't reach my husband because he is in a meeting.

1. I don't want to cause a problem with his family and

2. We really don't have this kind of money. Had I known, I would have put the swingset together myself and figured something else out for the cable line. I thought an electrician would only charge a max of $100 for the cable.

I am torn.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeAfterLisaJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Bump.

Photobucket
KyliesMommy0407
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM

moving it or splitting it and re-running it?  I have friends/family that know how to do it so I wouldn't pay anything.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I would do it myself...it is pretty simple.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Well, in order to move a cable here, comcast requires that we pay a Wall Fisher 30$ an hour to do so. If it takes him a few hours, then yes. Along with adding in the service call price, and the cost of replacing the parts of the wall they will need to repair and remove. Yeah, that sounds right.

Photobucket

busymomma75
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM

That personally sounds outrageous!!! My SO added cable to all the rooms in my house except the living room and my bedroom, those were including when I got cable. The rest he did it on his own. We bought the cable ourselves and he spliced it.

LifeAfterLisaJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM

It's already done. It was removed from wall A and moved to wall B.

He is also charging $150 to set up my kids swingset (metal).

I can't reach my husband - he thought it was $150 for everything.

LifeAfterLisaJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

This is my husband's cousin - so no service call fee. Time Warner wanted to drill through the floor. Said we would have to have an electrician come out and drill in the wall if we wanted the cable installed there.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Well, in order to move a cable here, comcast requires that we pay a Wall Fisher 30$ an hour to do so. If it takes him a few hours, then yes. Along with adding in the service call price, and the cost of replacing the parts of the wall they will need to repair and remove. Yeah, that sounds right.

LifeAfterLisaJ
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Bump.

monkeysmom2003
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM

that sucks he is a family member and is trying to take advantage of his own family .. this sounds familiar !! ... I would tell him not to build the swing set ...

I would love to have some amigas !! that
also speak Spanish .(I'm Mexican but raised in the USA) I'm a stay at
home mom of two kids  . a five year old boy and a two year old girl .
they are my world .. my dh is American and we met in high school .we
got secretly married on march 19 2003.. during spring break .  and on
our honeymoon we each went to our own home to sleep , also i do believe
in a god , but not in the bible. so if you will like to know me better
send me a friend request .. O yeah I write better in Spanish!

prestonjohn
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM

honestly,,i could have moved the cable it was a really easy thing to do,,,also for the swingset, is it the A frame kind,,i would just do it yourself,,it is not hard at all....he cousin is an ass for charging you anything at all..my hubby is an electrician and would have charged around 60 to move it,,if there was spiders in the crawlspace ALOT more money,,,lol

Quoting LifeAfterLisaJ:

It's already done. It was removed from wall A and moved to wall B.

He is also charging $150 to set up my kids swingset (metal).

I can't reach my husband - he thought it was $150 for everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)