Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training- Negative Reinforcement.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever used negative reinforcement for potty training? (ie: time out/punishment for accidents or not going in the potty)

Options:

Yes, and it worked.

Yes, but it did not work.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Umm... I can't imagine doing that personally, but that's just me.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Yes once he got better at it and knew when he had to go I used it if he had an accident. He went through a phase where he would stand right infront of me and poop in his pants on purpose or pee on my floor on purpose. I sat him in time-out and firmly told him it wasn't ok. It worked perfectly and the phase only lasted 3-4 days after I started the time-outs. He is 28months old now and has been potty trained for a year in November.

href="http://www.tickercentral.com">
SahmMommYof2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! That is unrecommended and can be highly damaging to their self esteem. Would you put them in time out bc they fell over trying to sit up, crawled "army style" rather than on all 4s or kept tripping while learning to walk? HELL NO. Bc that's part of learning....and having accidents while PTing is PART of the learning process.  

crzy4luvfrmu18
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I would NEVER do that!!!! I think it is terrible. 

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM

My mom got upset with me and said I was using negative reinforcement for my three year old stepson who we potty trained this summer.

What did I do, I made him wipe his own butt.

Apparently that is negative reinforcement. He will be four next week. I made him do this himself in June. So he was 3 years 10 months old... and she thinks I shouldn't have made him wipe his own butt because he cried about it. Screw that. He's four, I'm not wiping his butt. He's big enough to know better at this point.

I have never used negative or positive reinforcement while potty training. My oldest son got potty trained while camping. He loved digging holes to pee in, then covering them back up. Then we got home and he went on the potty. Never had an accident, never wetted the bed. I got lucky with him. lol

Photobucket

MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Once the child is capable of understanding that you go in the potty, then i can see how negative reinforcement can be used and may very well be effective.

Kays_Mama06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

In the process of potty training now.

I do not use negative reinforcement. I never tried and I can't really see how it would work.

theRonimal
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Exactly my situation, and age. Thank you for not bashing, just giving your experience!!!

Quoting ladyraven16:

Yes once he got better at it and knew when he had to go I used it if he had an accident. He went through a phase where he would stand right infront of me and poop in his pants on purpose or pee on my floor on purpose. I sat him in time-out and firmly told him it wasn't ok. It worked perfectly and the phase only lasted 3-4 days after I started the time-outs. He is 28months old now and has been potty trained for a year in November.

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM

no i never did a time out or what not for an accident.  however, when she had accidents after going to the potty and understanding the concept of the potty, she would have to help clean up an accident<ie putting her panties and clothes in the wash and "helping" clean the floor which consisted of getting a washcloth for me and a plastic bag>

CafeMom Tickers

Villanelle83
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Negative reinforcement is not what you described... You described a punishment. Negative reinforcement, by definition, is reinforcement by taking away something to promote something else. "If you get your homework done by 4, you don't have to take out the trash tonight." Positive reinforcement then, is "If you get your homework done, you get to have ice cream." You're giving something they want. Negative is taking away something they don't want. Both are reinforcing a behavior, not discouraging. You're describe punishment, which can also be described as positive and negative, based on whether or not you're removing or adding something.

And no, a child is learning, I would never punish them for learning!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)