Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off- Why does the majority think its okay to shove religion down our throats?!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 124 Replies

in another group, a lady has a post- about her gym playing christian music (gospel)  loadly every morning.

Now my stance is, a business should let you know if they do gear towards a certain religious preference on anything, just like if they had an attack dog.

Just saying "well then don't go there" isn't going to help the fact you already went, and got bitten by the dog, so to speak.

Now, I'm an atheist- and i wouldn't want religion crammed down my throat when I'm at a business giving them my money. however, i shouldn't have to "go somewhere else" its the principle of the matter.

seriously, why should the people with that religion get more rights than me?

what are ya'lls thoughts?

i am referring to the RESPONSES. NOT the fact they did change it.

"if you dont like, go elsewhere"---this.

Meet me- Amanda: I'm 20. I'm a "my give a damn is broken" kinda mom. I'm married to a soldier. i have three kiddos. I am attending online college for criminology, AND I'm joining the army also. I don't need a momma, I HAVE ONE.  i don't give a damn what you think (see above) so save your breath YES I am a bitch... BUT this is the Internet, Try not to have an aneurysm over it.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dbush0584
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

clapping

i dont necessarily NOT believe in god but more so am not sure what i want ot believe right now but i DO agree with you.  I HATE it when people act like they have more rights than me when it comes to anything.  not just religion.  my gma gets mad cuz theey dont have ""GOD"" in school but i say the same thing...its inapropriate!!  it is NOT those peoples decision what you choose to think or believe!  

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM

exactly!! theres these mommas that say "shut your kid up in the store, or leave" this is just is another example!!!

Quoting dbush0584:

clapping

i dont necessarily NOT believe in god but more so am not sure what i want ot believe right now but i DO agree with you.  I HATE it when people act like they have more rights than me when it comes to anything.  not just religion.  my gma gets mad cuz theey dont have ""GOD"" in school but i say the same thing...its inapropriate!!  it is NOT those peoples decision what you choose to think or believe!  

Meet me- Amanda: I'm 20. I'm a "my give a damn is broken" kinda mom. I'm married to a soldier. i have three kiddos. I am attending online college for criminology, AND I'm joining the army also. I don't need a momma, I HAVE ONE.  i don't give a damn what you think (see above) so save your breath YES I am a bitch... BUT this is the Internet, Try not to have an aneurysm over it.

isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Religion is a fine line.
I for one am one who is accused of shoving religion down peoples throat for the way I dress. (I wear hijab and don't show any skin but hands and face)
Just by dressing the way I choose to for personal reasons, people make all sort of assumptions on the way I think (That I think I am better than them and all that)
But as far as playing religious music, do that in your car, home, whatever, but not as a business owner in your store. ITs common courtesy.

ramadan mubarak

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM

to me religion should be left in home, church, coven ext ext. mind you i could care less if someone prays in public but when you are playing religious music or doing something prolonged yah it gets kind of anoying. I wonder how someone would feel if a set up a huge penticle on the ground in the middle of time square and help a wiccan ritual?

SKARISKARA
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM

They werent shoving their religion down her throat. She asked for them to change the music and they did. Now if they continuously kept playing the music despite her asking, I could understand your point. But that's not what happened.

I am a christian and if people had a problem w/ the music being played, I would just put in instrumental music instead of music w/ lyrics. But that's just me.

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

the way you dress is not shoving religion down someone's throught.  that is like saying being a goth/prep/emo is forcing someone to be like that.

Quoting isra1986:

Religion is a fine line.
I for one am one who is accused of shoving religion down peoples throat for the way I dress. (I wear hijab and don't show any skin but hands and face)
Just by dressing the way I choose to for personal reasons, people make all sort of assumptions on the way I think (That I think I am better than them and all that)
But as far as playing religious music, do that in your car, home, whatever, but not as a business owner in your store. ITs common courtesy.

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

oh no, i wasnt saying that they didnt change it, i was referring to the replies some gave, "if you dont like, go elsewhere"

Quoting SKARISKARA:

They werent shoving their religion down her throat. She asked for them to change the music and they did. Now if they continuously kept playing the music despite her asking, I could understand your point. But that's not what happened.

I am a christian and if people had a problem w/ the music being played, I would just put in instrumental music instead of music w/ lyrics. But that's just me.

ahsongbird
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Why should u get more rights than them? the post ur talking about was stupid and selfish on HER part b/c they DID accommodate her

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

how you dress is none of their concern. it does not affect them, their lives, or their ears (lol)

personally i think its great you are so into your faith, but do not force it upon others.

Quoting isra1986:

Religion is a fine line.

gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

she is talking about the responces of women saying she needs to deal with having the christan music on.

Quoting ahsongbird:

Why should u get more rights than them? the post ur talking about was stupid and selfish on HER part b/c they DID accommodate her

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)