Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do I...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
Get My 4 year old son to learn to write his ABC's 123's.. I spend hours today printing neat activities and Alphabet Tracer Letter Papers... So the hour I spent with him trying/begging him to try he only made it to the letter B and he didn't try at all.. Im really aggravated and disappointed... I feel like I've failed some where... He knows his ABC's and His Numbers as far as saying them he knows his whole name and colors and most of all his shapes... I'm just really scared he'll be behind.. Everyone keeps telling me ohhh it's ok he'll learn them in Kindergarten don't worry it it's there job to teach them that stuff, but I feel as a mother its my job to get him ready.... Please help....any advice would be greatly appreciated..

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I'm not there yet, my babe is 22 months, but here's a bump for ya =0)

With light and love.

ajswenson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:32 PM

My 3 1/2 yr old doesn't want to practice writing either and I feel like a loser for it too so you are not alone.  But I have started to make some headway.  He likes to write his name, so when he colors a picture I ask him to put his name on it.  That is working.  Also,  I have heard that ANY time spent coloring/painting is helping them build the skills to write so concentrate on that maybe and not so much the actual letters.  Another thing I've found my son likes to do is work on mazes.  He will follow the path on a maze over and over and that's obviously teaching hand control.  Don't freak out and make it an issue or he really will hold out on you.  Make it fun and when he's feeling like it at this point.  We've got 12+ years of school coming up, that's when we can get on them about it! Good luck.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Preschooler Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

my2girls516
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM

My DD's preschool was not big on sitting the kids down to make them learn.  Their attitude was learn through play.

That being said....get some sand and have him play in the sand, while he is doing that, trace letters in the sand.  Get a black board or dry erase board, have him play on that.  Personally, I would not worry about sitting him down to make him learn.  Do it through play.   google  learn through play. 

My girls are going into 2nd and 4th grade.  They are both above average students.

]

mamaleah17
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Start by having him learn to write his first name first. The whole alphabet and numbers might be a little overwhelming all at once. Then do only parts of the alphabet a week at a time. Then start with numbers.

Isbell_danielle
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM

What I do with my two year old is print things for each letter and do one letter each week.  That way he would actually learn to identify the letter and then it won't be so overwhelming.  Then when he is all done you can put them all together.  Or even splint them into groups and teach him those and then the rest of the groups later.  I also do colors with my daughter.  Good luck!

caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Thanks Mom's....

Keep Em' Coming or Bump Please.....

Thanks Again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)