Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do i go about getting child support when the dad lives in a different state?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son's dad (we were never married) lives in florida and i live in mississippi. we actually haven't even seen or heard from his dad in about 3 years or so. my husband thinks i should be going after him for child support. i'm not sure but want to gather some info anyway. do i file here in MS since that is where we live? do you have to get a lawyer? what about court appearances (are there any?). i really have no idea how any of this works and could use some help. Thanks!

I'll check later for replys. Gotta go pick up my son from after school care and take him to football...

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
randmmom05
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM

You file where the child resides.  Call your local child support office they might be able to help you.

shyloho
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM

You should be able to go to your county Child Support Enforcement Division office and file.  They should answer the questions for you, and you shouldn' t need a lawyer.

aarkat
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM

i think my mom and dad had theirs handled through the local county offices.  if she had a problem, she would contact her local d.a., and he would contact my dad's representative where he lived.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Custody Issues

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

melissa632
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thanks Ladies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)