Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Headstart/Preschool backpacks?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son starts a headstart/preschool collaberative program on Monday and I went in today to fill out some more paperwork. They said all he needed to bring was a backpack, pillow, blanket, and a change of clothes. I was wondering if he is supposed to have the little toddler backpacks they sell or normal size or what? I forgot to ask. Anybody know?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mae_01_sw
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Anyone??

shyloho
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM

It probably doesn't matter what size it is.  Just big enough to bring papers home in.

mamadrama07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM

If they didn't specify, it probably doesn't matter. You may want to get him an in between sized backpack though, because he'll be coloring and making things at school that he'll be bringing home to you, and they may not fit well in the little toddler backpacks without getting all bent up and such.  

Katenemsmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Get a small one.  The regular ones are too big for those little guys.  ;)

The prices are pretty good right now, I recommend buying two and saving one for when the first one breaks.  My daughter went through three cheap backpacks last year.  I debated over buying a $40 Jansport, which will last or two $15 character backpacks.  We decided on the two because she is the type of kid that will want a new backpack every year.

mamadrama07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM

When you go to the store to get his backpack, have him try on different ones to see which works best for him. Toys R Us has some that are smaller than the regular ones, but bigger than the toddler backpacks. My daughter started Kindergarten this year, and that's the size she got.

mae_01_sw
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Thanks, I wasn't aware that there was an in between size! I was worried that the regular size would just be way to big on him, but the toddler size wouldn't be able to hold his stuff. I'll have to check out Toys R Us online and see. We don't have one close, live in a small town, so I have to drive at least an hour to the nearest mall.

Quoting mamadrama07:

When you go to the store to get his backpack, have him try on different ones to see which works best for him. Toys R Us has some that are smaller than the regular ones, but bigger than the toddler backpacks. My daughter started Kindergarten this year, and that's the size she got.  

RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM

My son's teacher specified NO small ones with wheels, and NO large high-schooler sized ones as they are too big. We found a nice medium sized CARS one for him at JC Penney for $10 or so. We also had to send in a bottle of hand sanitizer and a box of tissues. He also has a change of clothes in his bag. 

mamadrama07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM

You're very welcome! Check at Walmart too. I have seen a few in between sizes there too. I got my daughter the in between size, because she's on the petite size. It's worked out perfect for her, because all of her papers and things fit perfectly in it.

Quoting mae_01_sw:

Thanks, I wasn't aware that there was an in between size! I was worried that the regular size would just be way to big on him, but the toddler size wouldn't be able to hold his stuff. I'll have to check out Toys R Us online and see. We don't have one close, live in a small town, so I have to drive at least an hour to the nearest mall.

Quoting mamadrama07:

TheFoo
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I worked at headstart last year and the normal kid backpacks are fine....you  want one that will fit a folder in it as that is what they will send her/his school work home in and important handouts for you.

CafeMom Tickers

MsWood729
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

My son's teacher specified NO small ones with wheels, and NO large high-schooler sized ones as they are too big. We found a nice medium sized CARS one for him at JC Penney for $10 or so.

Same thing my son's Teacher said to us.

untitled-3.jpg picture by MsWood729

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)