Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

will i have to buy a new carseat for my next child?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM
  • 20 Replies

i know you are supposed to change carseats every 5yrs. but my infant carrier says use until december 2011. but it was made in 2004. we are wanting to have another baby by the end of next year and are curious about what to do.

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Most car seats expire 6 years from date of manufacture.

Some expire after 8, but I can't think of an infant seat that expires after 8.

Look on your seat to double check the date of manufacture - is the 2011 stamped into the shell?

I would double check both dates before making a decision.

tabi_cat1023
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Ok if it was made in 2004 theres no way it lasts til Dec 2011..that would be 7 years and no infant seats last til 7 years that I know of...what is the exact DOM..it give it on the seat?  What kind of seat is it...sounds like a Graco from the Dec expiration date

abbymomof1
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I had it wrong. It says made in 3/2005, and the stamp says do not use after December 2011. it's a Graco Snug Ride.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Ok if it was made in 2004 theres no way it lasts til Dec 2011..that would be 7 years and no infant seats last til 7 years that I know of...what is the exact DOM..it give it on the seat?  What kind of seat is it...sounds like a Graco from the Dec expiration date

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

imechard
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Use it until the date that is on the stamp.

mae_01_sw
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM

As long as it isn't expired or been in a previous wreck or anything, it is up to you whether you want to use it for your second child as well. My kids are 3 years apart and I am using the same infant seat for my daughter that I used for my son.

austinsm0mmy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM

If it hasn't expired - has a five point harness and has never been in an accident there is no reason to buy a new one.

Child Passanger Safety Technician - Saving lives one car seat at a time!

tabi_cat1023
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:07 PM

ok then it is good til Dec 2011, no problems...

Quoting abbymomof1:

I had it wrong. It says made in 3/2005, and the stamp says do not use after December 2011. it's a Graco Snug Ride.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Leslie2164
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I didn't know car seats had expiration dates.  My parents bought a big conversion car seat when my son was born in '96.  Both of my daughters used it.  They were born in '02 and '05.  When my youngest was 3, we took her out of it and put her in a seat that is not as big and bulky.  We used the seat for about 9 years over a 12 year period.  It is still in very good condition.  I would not hesitate to use it again if I needed it. 

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

That would be foolish.

Have you seen videos of what happens to expired car seats?

The plastic degrades over time - and the harness rips THROUGH the seat EJECTING the child.

They expire for good reason.

Quoting Leslie2164:

I didn't know car seats had expiration dates.  My parents bought a big conversion car seat when my son was born in '96.  Both of my daughters used it.  They were born in '02 and '05.  When my youngest was 3, we took her out of it and put her in a seat that is not as big and bulky.  We used the seat for about 9 years over a 12 year period.  It is still in very good condition.  I would not hesitate to use it again if I needed it. 

Mama2HannahLynn
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I would imagine, but don't take my word for it as I'm no expert... If it hasn't been recalled and hasn't expired, it should be fine for your new little one.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)