• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseat question

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

i have 2 boys my oldest is 4 and my youngest is 1 i want to get them new carseats but i dint know what to get them. i was looking online and i found maxi-cosi carseats and i like the way they look (i know that isntr really important) but i dont know how safe they are, and i have heard alot about the graco nautilus, and the britax carseats. i just dont know what carseats to buy for them im so lost and i dont know much about carseats so i figured some of you mamas with carseat knowledge could help me out.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usaf_wifey07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM

bump 

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM

OK -couple questions...

What is your budget?

What are the weights of your children?

Is the 1 year old rear facing or forward facing?

usaf_wifey07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM

my 4 year old just hit 40 and my 1 yaer old is 22lbs i think i know he is over 20. also the budget really dosent matter as long as my kids are safe. and i havent decided about whether i want to ERF my youngest i have a two door car so it is super difficult to get him in and out as it is  and i dont know how difficult it would be to do that in a convertable seat. also i dont want to have to buy him a brand new seat in another year either, i was seats that will last. 

nemiller
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM

my son has the first years true fit and i really like it.  they run about $190, i believe.

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM

You can definately get an ERF seat that will last a LONG time, so that part is definately easy to address.

For your four year old, I would say either get the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier.  THey are both higher weight harnessed seats with tall top slots that turn into high back and ultimately low back boosters.

For your 1 year old, I would definately recommend ERF.  There are a ton of great seats that would also allow for extended harnessing as well.  These include the Evenflo Triumph Advance, My Ride 65, Britax Marathon, Britax Decathalon, Britax Roundabout 50, First years True Fit, and the SKJP Radian 65.  These seats rf until 35-40 lbs and all ff until 50-65 lbs....

If you are firm that you won't ERF, then the Graco Nautilus could be an option for your 1 year old.  The Britax is not, as you must be at least 2 years of age to use that seat.  I shudder to think of a 22lb baby in the Nautilus though - so much safer rfing.

Quoting usaf_wifey07:

my 4 year old just hit 40 and my 1 yaer old is 22lbs i think i know he is over 20. also the budget really dosent matter as long as my kids are safe. and i havent decided about whether i want to ERF my youngest i have a two door car so it is super difficult to get him in and out as it is  and i dont know how difficult it would be to do that in a convertable seat. also i dont want to have to buy him a brand new seat in another year either, i was seats that will last. 

mushmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I'll probably be the only one to tell you this, but I HATE the Britax Marathon.  I did tons of research and it's rated one of the safest.  It's also one of the most expensive.  We bought one and used the infant carrier a while in the other car.  When it came time for seat number two, I researched again (we had decided to go cheaper in the car she travels less in) and bought a Evenflo Truimph Deluxe and I love it!!!  About $100 cheaper.  My biggest complaint about the Britax is the straps constantly tangle and, compared to the Evenflo, the straps do not tighten enough.  Also the Evenflo seems more cushy and comfy for dd.

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I have both seats you mentioned and love them both.  The Britax Marathon is actually known for their straps not twisting!  (So it stinks you have a bad experience with that!  :)  )

I personally love the fact that I can tether the Marathon when rearfacing, as there are only 2 brands that allow for that.

Either way, both seats are great.

Quoting mushmom:

I'll probably be the only one to tell you this, but I HATE the Britax Marathon.  I did tons of research and it's rated one of the safest.  It's also one of the most expensive.  We bought one and used the infant carrier a while in the other car.  When it came time for seat number two, I researched again (we had decided to go cheaper in the car she travels less in) and bought a Evenflo Truimph Deluxe and I love it!!!  About $100 cheaper.  My biggest complaint about the Britax is the straps constantly tangle and, compared to the Evenflo, the straps do not tighten enough.  Also the Evenflo seems more cushy and comfy for dd.

Jaden8505
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

So I dont know about your post so heres a Bumpity for you.bump

I really just wanted to comment on your siggy and tell you that I love it and want one too. I have that pink floyd poster hanging in my room above my bed. I love it.

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Honestly you should call Britax.  I own a Britax and my strap NEVER tangled!  You also have to properly use the straps so they do not tangle BUT even so they should not tangle like you are describing. 

I also know other Britax owners and they all have said they love Britax for a number of reasons but the main one being the straps do not twist!

Britax customer service is EXTREMELY helpful. 

Quoting mushmom:

usaf_wifey07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:11 PM

okay so i talked to DH about the carseats and he said that we will be getting a new car with out tax refund so i will definatly get a 4 door so i will definatly be ERF my youngest (i can deal with a few months of difficulty getting him in and out for his saftey) so i am definatly thinking that im going to get the nautilus for my oldest but i still cant decide for my youngest, i wish i knew more about carseat safltey.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)