Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before and After Delivery tips.... Some posts my be TMI

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM
  • 20 Replies

So this is kinda a spin off of another post i was reading... she was asking about tearing... and I remember when i had my first I was absolutely TERRIFIED when i when in to L&D and reading all the horrible birth storys didn't help either so I wanted to start a post  that was all about things you did before and after that helped with pain helped with recovery and overall made it a wonderful experience.

NO HORRIBLE BIRTH STORYS PLEASE..... IF YOU HAD A HARD DELIVERY AND STILL WANT TO ADD PLEASE KEEP GRUESOMENESS TO A MIN THANKS... THE WHOLEPOINT OF THIS POST IS TO MAKE NEW MOMS FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH WHATS COMMING AND KNOW WHAT THEY CAN DO AFTERWARDS :)

My after delivery story and tips~

I had a 8lb baby with no major complications afterwardsI had what was called "skid marks" or stretch tears (where the skin tears but doesn't really bleed like a scratch) no stitches....

I loved the Icepack pad and keep getting them as long as they will give them to you they were heaven but i was really swollen down there after that the which hazel pads were wonderful and use the little bottle for warm water that they give you when you have to pee and use a warm wash cloth to "support yourself" when you have to poo otherwise it really hurts....

I had a epi and i pushed when i felt the need. after delivery I felt really good and I didn't really have the need for pain meds I think a took a couple doses of vicodin and after that ibuprofen and it passed to BM but was told it doesn't really hurt baby.

also Bring a cute pair of PJs for the baby the shirts the give dont always fit very well

and If you plan to BF see if the hospital will give you a tube landolin before you leave you will need it and it will save you a trip when you really dont feel like leaving the house oh and when your milk comes in.... warm showers are your best friend.....

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lucky2bee
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM

bumpCome on ladies need your tips here :)

mupt02
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I tore with my first one.  My MIL helped me out a ton.  The hospital actually handed out little kits, but the RN was too busy to tell me what to do.  You will need a squirt/spray bottle, Tuck's pads (or another witch hazel pad) and some spray pain reliever.  Going to the bathroom is painful with stitches in that location.  After going potty, use the squirt bottle to start cleaning by just spraying/squirting.  Then you can just dab with the toilet paper.  Next use the Tuck's pads.  Finally, spray some of the pain reliever.  It is a process, but for me it made a huge difference with the pain.

blowing bubbles              toddler girl             expecting baby

Abigail 5/17/06    Isabelle 10/17/07        Baby #3 Due Dec

If you want to make a good investment, take the afternoon off and play with your kids. - paraphrased from Ben Stein

isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Have a birth plan and have 2 people who are going to be in the room aware of what you want. Because when you get in there, sometimes your head isn't clear!
Get a stool softner after giving birth! I wasn't aware that your first poop would be so difficult. It was almost 3 weeks before I could go #2!

ramadan mubarak

JaylensMommy807
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Quoting mupt02:

I tore with my first one.  My MIL helped me out a ton.  The hospital actually handed out little kits, but the RN was too busy to tell me what to do.  You will need a squirt/spray bottle, Tuck's pads (or another witch hazel pad) and some spray pain reliever.  Going to the bathroom is painful with stitches in that location.  After going potty, use the squirt bottle to start cleaning by just spraying/squirting.  Then you can just dab with the toilet paper.  Next use the Tuck's pads.  Finally, spray some of the pain reliever.  It is a process, but for me it made a huge difference with the pain.

I did this same process (The doc did an apesiotomy) (with stictches)  It hurt a little but not too much.  Doing the above made it very manageable and I am hoping that all goes the same way with the next baby.  Also, delivery was very easy, Ihad an epidural at 6 1/2 centimeters and delivered within about an hour afterwards.  To all soon to be mommies - dont be scared no matter what its always worth it in the end when they put that precious little baby in your arms!!!

celticreverie
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Give birth at home LOL.. :)

Actually, I drank a lot of red rasberry leaf tea to help strengthen and tone my uterine/pelvic muscles.

I did pereneal massages and kegels regular, massages around 34-36 weeks and they can help prevent tearing.

Give birth naturally. My first wasn't and I swear there's a HUGE difference in energy lvls and just overall good feelings.

Stay mobil during labor and eat and drink!

DO NOT ALLOW COACHED PUSHING. It's ineffective, your body will push the baby out without you doing it, so just follow it's lead! Do NOT hold your breath either, or clench your face... go with the flow and if you have to make "horse lips" to relax your face lol.. :)

Laugh during labor. :) It makes the whole experience a lot better if you're happy!

A peri bottle with warm water every time you pee if you tear/get skid marks (hate that term lol). It was awesome, I used it with Becka.

I delivered 2 children and never tore. With Becka I was sore but didn't really get skid marks either. It burned from my OB having his hands in my as the head was coming.. it was AWFUL. He like gave me rug burn down there. Taegen was 9.1 lbs and I gave birth in a squatting position. Best position EVER. She came out fast, no tears, no pain, and never crowned. I never felt the ring of fire. Nothing.

Allow the placenta to deliver naturally, if not it can cause problems. With Becka they yanked it out and I had clots and a lot of issues from that. It hurt so bad! Taegens came on it's own adn was a lot better!

Get the baby immediately, and start nursing. Makes things a lot easier!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Nursing at keyboard.. Please excuse my typos Pictures, Images and Photos

beans13
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM

get KOTEX pads (for when you run out of the cold pack ones the hospital gives you).  Nothing with dry weave stuff (like always.  Put a few sprinkles of water on them and freeze......heaven.

Squirt bottle for going to the bathroom.

Epsom salts and a lot of shallow baths (I did not like the seat they gave me to sit on that went over the toilet seat so I just sat in the bath tub).

Hemmeroid and nipple creams (have on hand ahead of time, so you are not in need and don't have them)

IlyssasMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Perineal massage like a mo-fo. I'm a small person, I delivered a 9lb. baby with no tears, because my wonderful midwife does one heck of a perineal massage. Good luck!

Lucky2bee
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 1:08 AM

bump

Keep them comming ladies :)

mrsmilfy
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 1:17 AM

During Labor- Epidural

After labor- Tylenol w/codine and Loritab (prescribed by OB of course lol), and that numbing spray you spray on your perineum, and cooling pads I placed in my underwear...helped with swelling and the cool felt nice down there after I was stitched up.

Made my labor/delivery and PP recover...blissful

RorysMom119
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM

My hospital gave me a whole bunch of the mesh panties w the witch hazel & all the stuff they already mentioned for afterwards. They also suggested pulling the lining of a newborn diaper & filling with ice cubes if the other suggestions don't work. My labor & delivery were easy as pie because I had an epidural & didn't feel a thing except the need to push! But listen to the nurses or doc when they say "Don't push!" I didn't & I ripped all the way :-( I'm not looking forward to my next one though, I'm planning on going all natural (would have last time, but I was induced, supposed to be more painful).

But what are these perineal massages I'm hearing about? I'd love to not tear this time!

Honestly though, the birthing process isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Especially with an epidural (Godsend!). And yes, make sure you have Lansinol for BFing, and at LEAST one extra spray can of the spray pain relief (I was told to get the one with the red top they sell at Wal-Mart). Get one of everything that is mentioned here! It never hurts to be prepared & you may end up using ot for something else!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (gdP4)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)