Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family marriages- Spin-off

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

A couple of facts on this taboo subject. It is actually practiced in MUCH of the world, even here! My husband is the product of a first cousin marriage and my step kids are as well.
http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

26 states allow first cousin marriages; most people can marry their cousin in the US.
US prohibitions against cousin marriages predate modern genetics.
No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The U.S. is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions.
Children of non-related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. Genetic counseling is available for those couples that may be at a special risk for birth defects (e.g. You have a defect that runs in your family) In plain terms first cousins have at a 94 percent + chance of having healthy children. Check the links section for more information on genetic counselors. The National Society of Genetic Counselors estimated the increased risk for first cousins is between 1.7 to 2.8 percent, or about the same a any woman over 40 years of age.
Second cousins have little, if any increased chance of having children with birth defects, per the book "Clinical Genetics Handbook"
The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000. The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000
It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!
In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.
Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).
Leviticus 18 lists all forbidden sexual relationships. Cousin relationships are not included.
God commanded many cousins to marry, including Zelophehad's 5 daughters, Eleazar's daughters, Jacob (who married both Rachel and Leah, first cousins), and Isaac and Rebekkah (first cousins once removed)
It is likely that Joseph and Mary -- Christ's earthly parents were first cousins.
Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages -- perhaps because body chemistry of cousins is more similar. The verdict is still out.

We are all cousins. No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

ramadan mubarak

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
HaydensMommy007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

the last one was interesting to me....what is this post a spin off from? link? 

~It only hurts when I'm breathing, my heart only breaks when it's beating, my dreams only die when I'm dreaming. So I hold my breath to forget.~

isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM

It is a spin off of the Kissing Cousins post: http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/9672717/Kissing_cousins_SORRY_IF_OFFENSIVE

Quoting HaydensMommy007:

ramadan mubarak

HaydensMommy007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM

thanks =)

Quoting isra1986:

It is a spin off of the Kissing Cousins post: http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/9672717/Kissing_cousins_SORRY_IF_OFFENSIVE

Quoting HaydensMommy007:

~It only hurts when I'm breathing, my heart only breaks when it's beating, my dreams only die when I'm dreaming. So I hold my breath to forget.~

prego7386
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

i think its a choice..as long s they arent bro/sis parent/off spring or aunt,uncle/niece nephew then i dont see an issue.

treehugger823
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM

It may be legal but it's still gross.  And I have known quite a few people who were the product of "kissing cousins" so to speak.... and most of them had birth defects, these people were actually deformed...  one girl only had two big thick fingers on one hand instead of 5 normal ones, another guy had a deformed nose... its hard to describe... but it just goes on from there.

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM
It really is not gross. There is little risk of genetic defects, if you read the post. I know plenty of cousin marriages and none of them have any issues. Only one couple I know have a special needs son and that's because she was in a car accident at 7 months pregnant and they tried to stop her labor but he was 2 months premature and his complications are from that.
Quoting treehugger823:

It may be legal but it's still gross.  And I have known quite a few people who were the product of "kissing cousins" so to speak.... and most of them had birth defects, these people were actually deformed...  one girl only had two big thick fingers on one hand instead of 5 normal ones, another guy had a deformed nose... its hard to describe... but it just goes on from there.

ramadan mubarak

Chibi_Kitten
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:23 PM

This is interesting.

I think that the gross thing comes into play because of the way society has turned on it in general, kind of like arranged marriages or betrothals. They still happen on occassion but it's rare now because society has turned on arranging your child's marriage, same with breastfeeding and a lot of other things that used to be the way of live as little as 50 years ago but are just "not done" today.

That said, yuck! I love my cousins but no thanks! lol

prego7386
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM

as much as some people hate to look at this way you should see the person you are making babbies's with as someone you are breeding with..it makes it less romantic and what not but his genetics do go into yours and if your cousin and you have both got bad genes from poor mate choices then you def shouldn't have babies unless you are prepared to put your child threw a bunch of sad things...like only two fingers on each hand...however in some cases..like the op's husband' genetics are good enough to not worry much about abnormalities.

Quoting isra1986:

It really is not gross. There is little risk of genetic defects, if you read the post. I know plenty of cousin marriages and none of them have any issues. Only one couple I know have a special needs son and that's because she was in a car accident at 7 months pregnant and they tried to stop her labor but he was 2 months premature and his complications are from that.
Quoting treehugger823:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)