• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

leaving dogs in the house

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 48 Replies

So my mom and dad are going out of town and have noone to watch the dogs while they are gone. They are leaving Saturday afternoon and returning Sunday evening. My mom doesn't want to kennel them for a day so she plans on just closing the doors, giving them food and water and leaving them in the house!

If i didn't work i would just stay there but i am working this weekend. I told her to call a kennel. I don't know that sounds so gross and i'm a huge animal lover.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajjs1972
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM

that is animal abuse!

hope she loves to come home to a smelly house full of shit and piss and perhaps a dead dog!

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Quoting ajjs1972:

that is animal abuse!

hope she loves to come home to a smelly house full of shit and piss and perhaps a dead dog!

the dog isn't going to die in a day. She plans on feeding it and watering it.  I don' t think it would be animal abuse since it is only 24 hours i just worry about the house. You're right; that has the potential to get kind of stinky.

mrsmoore02
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM

We only kennel our dog when we're gone for more then a day or so.  We've done the same thing and it's been fine.  We just covered the areas with puppy pads so clean-up wasn't bad at all.  Of course, our dog is a mini-dachshund so his messes aren't that bad anyway :-)

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I don't know that I would call leaving a dog for 24 hours abuse.  We leave ours for that amount of time.  We throw down some "puppy pads" and they do fine.  I would never do it for longer than that.

ajjs1972
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM

to me, a dog is like a child, they need supervision. they can get into anything and mostly things you wouldn't dream of! doen't matter if it is one day or four hours, they need to be kenneled.

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting ajjs1972:

that is animal abuse!

the dog isn't going to die in a day. She plans on feeding it and watering it.  I don' t think it would be animal abuse since it is only 24 hours i just worry about the house. You're right; that has the potential to get kind of stinky.

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Quoting ajjs1972:

to me, a dog is like a child, they need supervision. they can get into anything and mostly things you wouldn't dream of! doen't matter if it is one day or four hours, they need to be kenneled.

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting ajjs1972:

that is animal abuse!

4 hours?  Do you kennel your dog when you go to work? If 4 hours is considered abuse then somebody needs to slap a fine on my ass cause my dog wanders the house for 8-10 hours a day while i am at work..when i pull a 12 he is there by himself too.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I guess every dog is different!  We just close the doors to the bedrooms and office, gate off the kitchen and let our have the living room.  We have never had any problems.  We did kennel the big one when we went on vacation (and took the little one with us), but that was a whole week.  For one day, they can stay alone.

Quoting ajjs1972:

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting ajjs1972:

that is animal abuse!

DallasGirl214
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

That seems like too long to leave the dogs in a crate....I don't think that 1 day at a kennel is going to cost too much. She needs to have someone stop by the house and check on them, let them outside to use the restroom, take them for a walk, and give them fresh food and water.

YorkEricaL
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Maybe she could get a baby gate at Walmart for cheap and baracade it in the kitchen? Give it a bed to lay on..food and water and all that. Then when it does go to the bathroom it will be easy to clean up? Or get some of those puppy training pads? Maybe the dog will use them instead of the carpet?

I dont know? Lol..we are going out of town and my dog digs out of our yard so we have to leave her in the house when were not here too. I do have a friend stopping by a couple of time a day to let her out to use the bathroom and feed her. I still feel bad though : ( 

lilypad728
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Wow...now you can't even leave a dog alone for 4 hours. How do people work? Or go to the mall?

Talk about over reacting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)