Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does a woman have a right to ask for child support if she has a baby outside of a commited relationship?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM
  • 117 Replies

ok this is kind of a spinoff, i was reading another post about welfare and deadbeat dads and alot of people said that if a women has a baby with a man shes not married to or in a commited relationship with, then she has no right to expect child support. ok so heres my story. i had been friends with my daughters father for about 17 or 18 years prior to having my baby, but we were never married, we never even dated, but we were always friends(on a side note he has claimed to be in love with me since he met me, but i was never interested in him romantically and he knew that and claimed to be fine with that) for the 3 years prior to me getting pregnant he was living in another state and we only spoke by phone, until the time he came to visit we had sex that one and only time, i got pregnant and he flew home 2 days later, and i did an early pregnancy test and found out i was pregnant only about 9 or 10 days after i concieved, when he found out i was pregnant he started sending me hateful emails saying i will never get a penny in child support because hes on ssi(this was news to me cuz he has worked since the day i met him, and worked the whole time hes been on ssi, but apparently it was under the table) well i told him i had no intentions of asking for child support anyway, since he wants nothing tio do with the child and said he hopes i miscarry. by the way i thought i couldnt have children because i miscarried 3 times in the past and was 36 when i got pregnant and was not about to have an abortion, since this was probably the only chance i would ever have to have a child. i DO NOT CARE if i get child support, since he became verbally abusive to me and i now want nothing to do with him, plus if hes now on ssi i cant get it anyway!, my question is ,if he was working, do u agree i have no right to child support since we werent together as a couple?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiquis
by Diamond Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I feel the child ALWAYS has rights and deserves child support from the sperm donor. Now if mom doesn't want him involved then he should sign over his rights. Otherwise I'd make him pay. 

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM

It takes two people to do the baby making, if something comes out of it..it is the responsibility of both parents. 

prego7386
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM

if a man and a woman have a baby then yes. in an ideal world there would be a paternity test so that "baby daddy" cant say he isnt and there would be the option for him to either sign away his right and never see the kid again and no child support paid or to sign the BC and pay up. just like a woman has the right to abort or keep the child a father should have the right to decide on his involvement BUT he cant flip flop

Septpreggo
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Quoting chiquis:

I feel the child ALWAYS has rights and deserves child support from the sperm donor. Now if mom doesn't want him involved then he should sign over his rights. Otherwise I'd make him pay. 

well its impossible for me to get anyway since hes apparently now on ssi but i just wanted oponions because of this other post.

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

If a man fathers a child, regardless of circumstances, the mother should have the right to ask for support if she wants. 

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

nope, dont agree....it is his child too, he should help support it no matter if you were in a relationship or not.

Septpreggo
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Quoting prego7386:

if a man and a woman have a baby then yes. in an ideal world there would be a paternity test so that "baby daddy" cant say he isnt and there would be the option for him to either sign away his right and never see the kid again and no child support paid or to sign the BC and pay up. just like a woman has the right to abort or keep the child a father should have the right to decide on his involvement BUT he cant flip flop

he never denied being the dad interestingly enough

Melo2828
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM

The fact that you knew him for 18 years, plus were friends  which to me is a kind of a committed relationship then sure why not get CS. 

The only time i would question it, if it was a one night stand kind of thing, the mother does not let the father know she was pregnant, then out of the blue a few years later she all of sudden asking for CS. That i think is wrong, but the courts don't care and will even make the man pay back child support like he knew he  had a child.

dydy777
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM

It takes 2 to have a baby... so I don't think it matters if its a relationship or not. There are several ways to prove paternity if necessary... but if you don't want him involved in the childs life, then I don't think you should expect any kind of monetary support either.

Dyanna

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM

yes she does. he knew she could possibly get pregnant when he stuck his dick in. the kids right to support of both parents supercedes his right to walk away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)