Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat question :)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

so i was looking online at my car insurance policy and came across this and i just had a question for the part in red... and my question is why? please no drama im just confused on this question and would like someone to clear it up for me... thanks :)

Infants: Birth until at least 20 pounds AND at least 1 year old

• Infants should ride in rear-facing car seats as long as possible, until they are at least 12 months old and weigh at least 20 pounds. Keep children rear-facing to 30-35 pounds if your car seat allows it.
  • Children at least 1 year old, weighing 20 to 40 pounds that can no longer ride rear-facing should ride in forward-facing car seats secured with harnesses and tethers. Use either a seat belt or the LATCH system to secure the child restraint. Do not use both systems.
  • Use either a rear-facing infant seat or rear-facing convertible seat.
  • Route harness straps in lower slots, at or below shoulder level.
  • Fasten the top of the harness clip at armpit level.
  • Keep all children in a back seat. Never place a rear-facing infant in the front seat with an active airbag.
  • Keep harness straps snug. Once buckled you should not be able to pinch the webbing at the shoulders.
  • Recline the infant’s child restraint at no greater than a 45-degree angle, according to manufacturer instructions.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
soleismommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM

BUMP..... anyoneee???

wagnerswifee21
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.
I copied this for you, hope it helps!

Joslyns_mommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM

learn something new every day! I have to check to see if we are using both. I am not sure

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

soleismommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM

oh i never thought of it this way.. thank you it does help a bunch... i did use both (sometimes) and would figure that it would be safer... (if one fails you have the other) but i guess im wrong! thanks again :)

Quoting wagnerswifee21:

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.
I copied this for you, hope it helps!

wagnerswifee21
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Y W!

rina16
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Also using both systems at the same time will put too much stress on the seat and could cause it to malfunction. Neither one is necessarily safe, It's just that LATCH is designed to be easier to install.

Hot Mamas use the right Car SeatBoosters are for Big KidsRear facing BFing

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but I know my car seat manual says use one or the other, not both at the same time.  It makes sense though that using both might put too much strain on the seat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)