Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting a Pitbull

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

So, my neighbor is moving a couple hours away and she asked me to watch her Pitbull for the weekend until her parents can take the dog.  I've been around the dog a little, but I've never really taken care of a dog that big before.

Any Pitbull mommies got any advice for me?

Photobucket

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GabriellaM
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM

We don't have a pit bull, but we have another dog around the same size (golden retreiver) as well as a small dog-and it's really not any different having a big dog as compared to a small dog..they just eat more and you need to watch them more with your little ones. Good luck!

TheFoo
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Im a Mastiff Mommy LOL but give her a place to lie down...blankets and such and hopefully she comes with a toy...Feed her and love her and let her go potty outside often...not much to it Pitts are cuddle bug dogs. Have fun!

CafeMom Tickers

jaxTheMom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM

oh, he's a big one?  Be prepared for lots of goofy bouncing and tongue baths.  Most pits are total lovey dorks.  Then they flop over exhausted, sleep, and wake up goofy again.

Best description I ever read was, "If a standup comic and a mad scientist had a dog baby..."  Total attention whores.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM

lol. I'm scared of him being a big cuddle bug. I might want to keep him. And we are moving into a five bedroom house next week... so it could be possible. I might have to talk hubs into it. I know my neighbor will be looking for a permanent home for him sooner or later. lol

Quoting TheFoo:

Im a Mastiff Mommy LOL but give her a place to lie down...blankets and such and hopefully she comes with a toy...Feed her and love her and let her go potty outside often...not much to it Pitts are cuddle bug dogs. Have fun!

Photobucket

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Quoting jaxTheMom:

oh, he's a big one?  Be prepared for lots of goofy bouncing and tongue baths.  Most pits are total lovey dorks.  Then they flop over exhausted, sleep, and wake up goofy again.

Best description I ever read was, "If a standup comic and a mad scientist had a dog baby..."  Total attention whores.

lol

Photobucket

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM

From what i understand they need lots of exercise.  I am guessing she is providing the dogs food.   I would also be ready for alot of big doggy poop in the yard or when you take him for walks.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Quoting GabriellaM:

We don't have a pit bull, but we have another dog around the same size (golden retreiver) as well as a small dog-and it's really not any different having a big dog as compared to a small dog..they just eat more and you need to watch them more with your little ones. Good luck!

Thank you! 

I'm really not used to dogs in general. The only dogs I had were the ones I grew up with and they were Mini Schnauzers. lol

Photobucket

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

From what i understand they need lots of exercise.  I am guessing she is providing the dogs food.   I would also be ready for alot of big doggy poop in the yard or when you take him for walks.

Luckily I don't have a yard. lol. I suppose cleaning up after him while walking him is going to be a pain in the ass though. lol.

Photobucket

jaxTheMom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM

uh oh.  :)

Mine (he's a pit/lab mix) is 80lbs, but still thinks he's just a wee little tiny puppy who can still fit in mommy's lap, and he will climb in my lap, roll over asleep and fart.  Top and bottom half draped over either side of my lap, but dammit, he fits!  See?  LOL

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's sure the best dog I've ever had.  He's a Good Boy.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

lol. I'm scared of him being a big cuddle bug. I might want to keep him. And we are moving into a five bedroom house next week... so it could be possible. I might have to talk hubs into it. I know my neighbor will be looking for a permanent home for him sooner or later. lol

Quoting TheFoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)