Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Head Room Parents here.....are you involved with your childrens class?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

Today we had my DD's meet the teacher meeting for her Kindergarten class and I signed up to be Head Room Parent. Have any of you ever taken on the challenge of being Head Room Parents for your childs class or just a Room Parent in general?

If so, what was it like for you and what different things did the class do and what had to be planned and taken care of. I'm curious as to others experiences and doings with their childrens classes because I am trying to make sure I'm not getting myself in over my head especially since I also have a 7 1/2 month old. Although, I have asked my DD's teacher if it would be a problem to bring my baby with me to the events that I would be coordinating and the teacher told me that if I am up for the challenge and don't mind bringing my baby with me she has no problem with it. Just wondering what all you think or have done and how the Room Parent thing went for you.

Thanks in advance for you support, advice or anything else you may be able to offer me.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nlmorus06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM

BUMP......

Leener3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I was head room parent for both kids almost every year. No one else wanted the job. A few hints:

1. Talk to the teacher first and find out the following:

• Exactly what your duties are: Is this just for party's or for party's and field trip; do they have a year end party, etc
  • Does she have a maximum number of parents she wants at each party
  • Dates of Party's; Date and location of field trip is applicable
  • Any food alergies in class
  • What your budget is (then divide by the number of party's)

2. Send a letter to parents (via teacher) with tear off bottom; and give teacher a manilla envelope to hold returns - tear off bottoms should contain the following info:

• Teacher info listed above; Tell parents for example that teacher has asked for a max of 3 parents at each party - if you have to you will pull names from a hat.
  • Ask parents to check what they would like to do - and for which party; I always asked parents to check 1, 2, 3, or 4 in order of preference which party they would like to help with; also - any party's they will not attend (you will be surprised how many parents dislike Halloween)
  • Are they willing to volunteer either by: Helping to plan; Attending; Donate snacks; Donate items for art project
  • Tear off bottom should include Name, home and cell phone and child's name (learned the hard way - a lot of kids do not have mom's last name and you don't know who belongs to who)

3. Hold meeting at least 2 weeks prior to each party to plan.

I always prefered using stations - (class is divided into 3 equal groups); 1 adult in charge of each station; children move from station to station**** I Learned this the HARD way**** Have the TEACHER make the groups.

Stations:

• Art project having to do with holiday
  • Book about holiday
  • Inside game;
  • Then everyone eats together at the end. 

My biggest advice:  DO NOT bring your 7 month old.  You are going to be busy. PLUS.... this is you 7 year olds and your time together. Get a babysitter.

Any other questions please ask.

proudmommy35
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Leener3:

I was head room parent for both kids almost every year. No one else wanted the job. A few hints:

• Exactly what your duties are: Is this just for party's or for party's and field trip; do they have a year end party, etc

2. Send a letter to parents (via teacher) with tear off bottom; and give teacher a manilla envelope to hold returns - tear off bottoms should contain the following info:

• Teacher info listed above; Tell parents for example that teacher has asked for a max of 3 parents at each party - if you have to you will pull names from a hat.
  • Ask parents to check what they would like to do - and for which party; I always asked parents to check 1, 2, 3, or 4 in order of preference which party they would like to help with; also - any party's they will not attend (you will be surprised how many parents dislike Halloween)
  • Are they willing to volunteer either by: Helping to plan; Attending; Donate snacks; Donate items for art project
  • Tear off bottom should include Name, home and cell phone and child's name (learned the hard way - a lot of kids do not have mom's last name and you don't know who belongs to who)

I always prefered using stations - (class is divided into 3 equal groups); 1 adult in charge of each station; children move from station to station**** I Learned this the HARD way**** Have the TEACHER make the groups.

Stations:

• Book about holiday
  • Inside game;

My biggest advice:  DO NOT bring your 7 month old.  You are going to be busy. PLUS.... this is you 7 year olds and your time together. Get a babysitter.

I was the room parent for my son's kinder class last year, and this year I will be for my dd's kinder class.  I totally agree with Leener.  Have a meeting w/ the teacher first.  He/She will let you know what they do and don't want.  Our school only has 2 parties a year, so it is pretty easy.  I would not bring the baby.  You will be to busy.  I always found a sitter for my dd.

Good Luck.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

ELEMENTARY MOMMIES
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

nlmorus06
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Thanks....I appreciate all the advice. But my oldest is 5 years old and I don't have a choice but to bring my 7 month old with me. I have nobody to help me with her during these events. So, that is why I put that in my message....because I have to bring my little one with no if ands or buts about it. No help means everything is on mean when it comes to my kids. And I don't have enough extra money to pay a sitter for my little one.

Quoting Leener3:

Stations:

• Book about holiday
  • Inside game;

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)