Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Texas Nurses??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

I finally decided I want to be a nurse but have absolutly NO idea where to start  looking for schools or online school..What did you have to do to get started?Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyof3boys567
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Anyone?

dbush0584
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM

im in school right now.  first...i went ot the EOC (educational opportunity center) at the school and filled out my FASFA with an admissions person.  i had to take my HS transcripts and tax info.  then i waited till my FASFA went through and when they sent me a letter i went to take my ACCUPLACER exam.  then i went to counceling and advising and made my degree plan.  got enrolled and now im 3 semesters in.  where do you live?  i may can help. 

mommyof3boys567
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I live in Texas...

Quoting dbush0584:

im in school right now.  first...i went ot the EOC (educational opportunity center) at the school and filled out my FASFA with an admissions person.  i had to take my HS transcripts and tax info.  then i waited till my FASFA went through and when they sent me a letter i went to take my ACCUPLACER exam.  then i went to counceling and advising and made my degree plan.  got enrolled and now im 3 semesters in.  where do you live?  i may can help. 

dbush0584
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Quoting mommyof3boys567:

I live in Texas...

Quoting dbush0584:

i understand that seeing as how you asked for TEXAS NURSES...i meant like what area...if you live in the north...i live in paris and go to PJC and if you live in the metroplex i know some stuff about UTA.  thats why i was asking.  im not trying ot be like a stalker or something.  sorry to ask...good luck!

mommyof3boys567
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

hahah! ok Duh...my bad...I live in Amarillo...

Quoting dbush0584:

Quoting mommyof3boys567:

I live in Texas...

Quoting dbush0584:

i understand that seeing as how you asked for TEXAS NURSES...i meant like what area...if you live in the north...i live in paris and go to PJC and if you live in the metroplex i know some stuff about UTA.  thats why i was asking.  im not trying ot be like a stalker or something.  sorry to ask...good luck!

SusanD
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Are you wanting to go for your LVN or RN? If you want your RN do you want a 2yr or 4yr degree? Most community colleges offer a 2 year RN program. It ends up being 2 1/2 to 3 years after you take the pre-req and co-req courses. An LVN program is typically 12 months straight or 18 months with a small summer break. LVNs have a smaller scope of practice (meaning they are not able to do as much as an RN) and in TX the pay is usually between 14 and 18 dollars an hour on average. There are some areas that do pay more and I've heard of a few that pay less. RNs obviously pay more. A first year RN usually makes somewhere around 24-28 an hour and up from there.

As for school, there typically are no pre-reqs for an ADN program. All of the courses are scheduled into the program. With an RN program, it varies as to what the pre-reqs are and what the co-reqs are. Most schools require you to have english 1301, anatomy & physiology I, and intro to psychology as pre-reqs. Co-reqs (or other pre-reqs) are often Anatomy & Physiology 2, lifespan growth and development, sometimes general biology, microbiology, pharmacology (some schools allow you to take it without being in a nursing program), a computer course, and a fine arts credit.

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM

If you have a technical college near you:

http://www.tstc.edu/technicalprograms/health.asp

SusanD
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

As for the fasfa, that is the application for financial aid (including federal pell grants). You can fill out the form, using your past year tax return on the internet. Its the .gov site.

mommyof3boys567
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Thank you ladies! I think I want to go for the RN program because i eventually want to work in pediatrics and Im not sure you can do that as a LVN.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)