• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for sahms.. Do you have a back up plan?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM
  • 34 Replies

Let me give you a little background...I graduated in 04, went to a technical college the month after I graduated highschool it was one you see advertised on TV some have had luck most I have talked to are in the same boat I am and have had nothing positve come out of our 10,000$ I always knew I wanted to be a sahm. I have been with my hubby since I was in highschool and all during this time I worked at oldnavy. When I graduated the tech college we got married 6 months later here comes baby.. I am supported by my hubby I see women all the time like me have nothing when the hubby leaves. I have never wanted to depend on a man but I find myself depending on a man. What "IF" he decided to leave? what would we fall back on I find myself lately questioning this I would have to move back home. Just pondering this.. anybody else wonder what they would do? Obviously I would get a job but nothing would pay my bills or pay for me to have a place of my own and Because I went to this stupid school I am still paying for ,I dont think I can take out another student loan to go somewhere else.

were not fighting or hes not leaving its just something I think about. A woman like me is leaving her hubby, and moving back home to her parents so I was like DANG I would hate to do that!  OR if something terrible happened and you were left widowed.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Not yet. I am planning on going to school in Setember, not a s aback up plan, but because I finally figured out what I want to do with my life!

ramadan mubarak

Vannahbugsmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Quoting isra1986:

Not yet. I am planning on going to school in Setember, not a s aback up plan, but because I finally figured out what I want to do with my life!

awesome! I finally know but after I went to the crap school! lol..

ajswenson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I don't have a plan....I think his family would take care of us and disown him, serious.  They are all about the grandkids.  But I don't worry about this b/c I can't believe he would ever do anything for me to need a plan.  Once our kids are school age I plan on getting back into the workforce anyway so his years of being the sole bread winner are numbered.  I have one degree and am almost done with the other.

RAZmom88
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I have no backup plan and haven't needed one.  If something like that happened both his family and mine would be there for me and the kids.  That the kind of family we both come from.

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM

well after my husbands "mysterious" disappearance I would just continue to work like I do and support my family I would prob move into my grandma's basement apt or find somewhere cheaper to live and sell all his stuff ! I don't know I work part time now so I would prob have to go to full time

dusky_rose
by Sue on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Not sure what I would do because both of my parents are deceased and I have a 2 year old that I probably couldn't afford to put in daycare. Maybe my kid brother would let us stay with him for a while until I got back on my feet but I'm not sure. My DH was pretty adamant about being to this relationship for the long run, so I'm not too worried about him leaving though.

MeggerSmith
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Ive been a house wife since a year after my hubby and I got married. I plan on being a SAHM and a student once my little one is here. I had done 1 year of college after high school but left do to some health issues and just never went back. I plan on going back next fall( my daughter will be almost a year by then) to a community college to finish my 2 years then transfer to a university (probably ASU) to finish my BS in zoology and minor in marine biology. If all goes well Ill be done with that by the time our daughter starts school then Id like to go to veterinary school and become a vet. I do plan on at least get my bachelor's for sure not necessarily as a back up plan but because I want to accomplish it for myself. But it is good to have a plan. While I hope and pray my husband never leaves me or dies at a young age before we retire I have to be prepared to be able to take care of myself and child.

CaneWife
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Yes, I have a plan.

First, if DH left me, he would be slammed with both alimony and child support payments. And he would pay because he would never leave his child wanting. I also have my own business, which I could absolutely ramp up for more money, and I can always go back to event marketing, either in a corporate sense or on my own.

renrut3907
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Well, you'd get the house with the kids and about 92% of his paycheck would go to you!  I know what you mean...I never depended on anyone in my life and then I became a SAHM.  It is way scary, isn't it?  You could always be setting aside your own little nest egg as an emergency fund - who says he has to know about it.

JuliaW
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Yes, I do. I would move back home to England and move in with my Mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)