Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need serious HELP!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

In the last couple of days my house started smelling awful!! I keep it clean (toy clutter doesn't count) and I can't tell where it is coming from. I can't stand this, it smells like something died! I don't know how much longer I can take it. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do you have any suggestions? I also just finished cleaning the carpets and scrubbing everything top to bottom in the last few days because we are trying to sell the house.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

what does it smell like, rotten eggs or something,,do you have a basement, crawlspace?

Leener3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Did you look at the drip pan under the fridge?

Dishwasher filter?

Garbage disposal?

Kids rooms?

If non of those - you may have a dead rodent in the walls - you'll need to call an exterminator.

lyzzibear
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Quoting prestonjohn:

what does it smell like, rotten eggs or something,,do you have a basement, crawlspace?

I don't have a basement or a crawlspace. It smells like someone pooped out a rotten broccoli monster, killed it, let it sit in the sun for a week and then wiped it all over my house. I have honeslty never smelled anything like this.

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

it could be a dead mouse or rat or any thing under the house 

lyzzibear
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Quoting Leener3:

Dishwasher filter?

Garbage disposal?

Kids rooms?

If non of those - you may have a dead rodent in the walls - you'll need to call an exterminator.

Checked all of those. How would he find out where it is? If I could find out where it's coming from I could put a hole in the wall and get it out. So grossed out just thinking about it!

prestonjohn
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

odds are he wont and its better and cheaper to wait it out it will stop smelling in a week or so.....can you at least pinpoint a general location of the smell. is it thru out the house? do you have central air?

Quoting lyzzibear:

Quoting Leener3:

Dishwasher filter?

Garbage disposal?

Kids rooms?

Checked all of those. How would he find out where it is? If I could find out where it's coming from I could put a hole in the wall and get it out. So grossed out just thinking about it!

RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

We had a similar situation in the spring. It smelled like a dead and rotting chicken in this house, ESPECIALLY whenever the heat or a/c turned on. That indicated it was in the ducts. It finally subsided so I am not sure if something ate it or dragged it out. There were also vultures flying over our house during that time. I had wondered if they had dropped something into the chimney, but there is a cover over it so idk??? Maybe it was a dead snake or lizard too! Ick!

Mischelle28
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

i was dealing with this issue too. check your drains. turns out there was a bunch of gunk in my sink pipes which was causing an odor in my home. i am living on an army post in an older home so things dont really work as well as they should. hope this helps...good luck.

insomnia
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

When we got back from the beach in June there was a horrid smell from the kitchen area-onions in a bag on the floor next to the fridge. They'd been pushed outta the way and back beneath the shelf. Oh, whatta smell. I found it, finally, and he cleaned it. Thankfully. How bout stink bugs? They're the little bugs and they crawl around and you don't even realize they're there. I know they're a big deal in Pa.

lyzzibear
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

We had a similar situation in the spring. It smelled like a dead and rotting chicken in this house, ESPECIALLY whenever the heat or a/c turned on. That indicated it was in the ducts. It finally subsided so I am not sure if something ate it or dragged it out. There were also vultures flying over our house during that time. I had wondered if they had dropped something into the chimney, but there is a cover over it so idk??? Maybe it was a dead snake or lizard too! Ick!

How long did it take to go away?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)