• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? (stray animal) PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

So there is this stray kitten that I started feeding and my SO is mad because we already have too many pets, but I don't want to take the stray to the humane society in my town because they euthanize 2/3 of the animals that are brought in due to overcrowding and disease (many of the animals catch the disease upon entering the shelter).

My SO is upset because he says (and I do know it is true) that once you feed a stray it won't leave...

So if you had a stray coming around, would you feed it? Would you take it to a shelter even if the shelter had a high rate of euthanizing? Or would you simply make it your pet?

My game plan is to feed it while I look for a new home.... hopefully he will stick around until I can find one.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah112007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I would keep feeding it. Probably end up taking it in as another pet, but I'm a huge sucker for animals.

pisces_chick89

wowo ive never of a humane society that euthanises due to over crowding...

honestly strays go where the food is..you give food it will go there...but arnt there any no kill shelters in your area..

http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/nature/bears/panda-ani.gifwant a group without censorship or post deletion?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/105760

two4one

I've delt with stray cats before. One became my pet, two I took to the no-kill shelter because DH didn't want anymore (by that time we had three cats and a dog). What I wouldn't do is ignore it. I can't. When I see a helpless creature I have to do something. Even if the cat is euthanized, it may be better off than living on the street getting into fights, being attacked by animals and people, getting a disease, or being hit by a car.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

shecallsmemom04
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

i wouldn't want it becoming feral, and i wouldn't want it to catch any diseases, and i certainly don't need a stray with rabies near my home.  so, i would bring it in, and take it to the humane society i am in charge of, since we do not kill.  because some of the alternatives are not good ones.  but i wouldn't just keep feeding it outside.  you have no idea where it's been or where it will be in the future.  and it probably won't go away.  i would keep it or find somewhere for it to go, if i were you.  have you looked at www.petfinder.com

I'm an insane, bleeding heart extreme animal activist, who licks my dogs ass.  (and yes, for those wondering, i'm kidding)

good

2boys_1girl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Quoting pisces_chick89:

honestly strays go where the food is..you give food it will go there...but arnt there any no kill shelters in your area..

to my knowledge there might be some in my state, but definately not my city... which is so sad.

Someday I would love to get a huge plot of land and start my own no kill shelter... but that is kinda a "if I won the lottery" dream.

neyon226
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I'd feed it and try to find it a new home.  Today my husband found the 8th kitten in the last year and a half.  We kept one, but we started out with one dog and one cat.  Then a full grown cat started digging through our garbage.  The kids begged me to bring it in one night when there was a thunderstorm.  I'm a sucker and let her in.  She's never left, lol.  Then, about 6 months later, a cat had kittens on our carport roof.  One fell off and my kids and husband begged me to keep it.  Ok. 

There are so many cats that run around our neighborhood, it makes me so mad!  Some we've found needed to be bottle fed, but I found homes for all of them.  Your local paper may have free ads for people giving away kittens.  Call them and see.  You may get her into a nice home pretty quickly.

Spay and neuter your pets people!!!!!  If you can't afford to fix the thing, don't have it!  So many animals are running around having litter after litter.  So unnecessary!

pisces_chick89
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

just call al the sleters in your area and ask what their policys are?

maybe you could rehome it...at least fix the cat..we dont need any more unwanted litters...

Quoting 2boys_1girl:

Quoting pisces_chick89:

to my knowledge there might be some in my state, but definately not my city... which is so sad.

Someday I would love to get a huge plot of land and start my own no kill shelter... but that is kinda a "if I won the lottery" dream.

http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/nature/bears/panda-ani.gifwant a group without censorship or post deletion?

DakotaRose
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I have a stray that I can't get any closer than 3 feet to and she bolts, I have been feeding her for 2 years and all the kittens she has had in my garage, some of them stay feral like her, but most I have been able to re-home. My husband helps me every step of the way with the whole thing because he loves animals as much as I do. 

pisces_chick89
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

dont give it to just anyone..sometime snake owners go to the free to good home kitten adds and use them for monty...

or they buy the cheap 10 dollar kittens because its cheaper than the 30 dollar rabbit..sad i know but assholes do it..

or dog fighters get them as bate for dog fighting..

so please becarefull who you give it to..

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I wouldn't feed it unless it was starving...then it would promplty go to our local shelter.

If it was a cat I would not even open my door for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)