• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Anyone know?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

My mil got a notice today to evacuate the buliding that she is living in. The owner of the building she is living in is trying to sell the building. He wants everyone out of the building before he sells the building. Does he have to find the people who are living in the building a new place to live since he wants them out?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

How long did he give her?

ajswenson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I would think he is obligated to the lease agreement.  He may be able to get out of the lease agreement when he sells the building, but then the new owner has to honor the leases or settle....I think?  I've only had a few business law classes, but I think that's how it works.  At the very  minimum I would think that they at least have 60 days.???

mlg87ok
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

No, he isn't obligated to find her a new place to live but does have to give her at least 30 days to find a place and move out.

mysteriousmom06
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM

This

Quoting mlg87ok:

No, he isn't obligated to find her a new place to live but does have to give her at least 30 days to find a place and move out.

Vampee_Mom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM

No he is not obligated to help her find a new place to live.. I know in my state (based on tenent/landlrod law) the landlord/property management company/owner is only required to give a 30 day notice to vacate the premises.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Quoting Vampee_Mom:

No he is not obligated to help her find a new place to live.. I know in my state (based on tenent/landlrod law) the landlord/property management company/owner is only required to give a 30 day notice to vacate the premises.

This.

I mean...what kind of help could he give her? She can look in the newspaper and find a place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)