• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be worried? (possibly tmi)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

For the past couple of months, my breasts have been really tender, my left one especially. Since my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor and a friend of mine is also a breast cancer survivor I check my breasts every couple of months. I'm only 23, mind you, so I know my risk for breast cancer is so slim (thank goodness!), but a couple of days ago, I found a lump and there's pain in it, now. The areola is oddly enough, shaped differently... enough that my DH noticed it. Could this be mastitis? I have a dr. appt. this saturday... and I know worrying won't do me any good until the dr says I should worry... but I can't help that little niggling thought in the back of my head all day at work, when I'm playing with my son. Anyone else had the same symptoms? Or something similar?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dydy777
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

bump

Dyanna

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM

first off if it hurts its probably not cancer.

Second does the lump move?

Third you are only 23 so not many doctors will even look at you and suspect cancer. So be proactive with it..if its not getting better than you need to demand them do a mamo, a u/s something. Just because you are 23 doesn't mean you won't get it or can't. I know you said slim but there are a lot of doctors who think that if you are young you cannot get things like breast or colon cancer.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Thanks for the bump! I could use any kind of advice at this point.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I never thought I'd be so happy to know my booby hurt! It doesn't move, the lump I mean. And what's weirder is that my left breast is actually swollen. About a half a cup size.

Quoting edwardsgirl:

first off if it hurts its probably not cancer.

Second does the lump move?

Third you are only 23 so not many doctors will even look at you and suspect cancer. So be proactive with it..if its not getting better than you need to demand them do a mamo, a u/s something. Just because you are 23 doesn't mean you won't get it or can't. I know you said slim but there are a lot of doctors who think that if you are young you cannot get things like breast or colon cancer.

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I've had mastitis twice. My whole breast became inflammed (hot to the touch and red as hell) and it hurt like a motha. Mastitis is caused by a clogged milk duct. Are you breastfeeding or did you just stop? I also felt like I had the flu because it is an infection. If it is mastistis you can massage it and try to always have your child eat off of that side first (if breastfeeding) or pump that side to help loosen the clogged duct. Hat showers help and hot towels on it help as well. Unofrtunatly there isn't much a doc can do but tell you to wait it out and keep massaging it. (that's what my doc told me both times). Good luck. I hope it isn't anything more serious.

I'm a Breastfeeding, 100% vaxing, Obama loving, NO STUPID ERF HERE and my kids are perfectly safe thank you, married mama of 3. One autistic 3 year old boy (and NO vaccines DID NOT cause his autism), one fietsty 1 1/2 year old girl, and another little man on the way due in Decmeber.
y0ungm0mma07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I have had something similiar to this.. My right bood was tender and I found a knot on the side close to my underarm, My doc said that it could be because of my menstrual cycle and she noticed she could move it and said that it could be just a cyst..ad t come back in about a week. the tenderness and knot went away in right when I started my cycle.

Young Mommy to a two yr old little girl and engaged to a Navy Sailor.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

It's not red or hot, it just hurts and it swollen. I haven't breast fed in over a year. Can you get mastitis if you're not breastfeeding?

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I'm weeks away from my cycle, too.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Has no one else gone through this? No bump, at least?

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM

You can get a breast infection even if you are not breastfeeding yes.  I would be worried about IBC because a lot of the symptoms you are describing can also be that of IBC, but IBC can mimic a infection too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)