Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I tie my 2 year olds door shut when its bedtime no bashing please help update 2nd update!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM
  • 38 Replies
My 2 year old ds is very stubborn.he sleeps in his own room in a toddler bed.i have been putting a baby gate over his doorway and just letting him cio.then he started throwing his blanket out then asking for it then kicking the door into the wall.he already knocked a hole in it.he screams at the top of his lungs and wakes my 2 mth old up.so to eliminate him kicking the door i tied it shut.it works he doesent scream as long and he gives up.i dont know if its a bad thing though.but i dont know what else to do.edit when he falls asleep i take it off.cant take door off its a rental house .so i think i am going to either eliminate naps or only let him take an hour and try the super nanny thing but not sure it would work.2nd update:so i untied the door and put a lamp in his room and he got out of bed a few times and i put him bk in then he went to sleep
Im lindsey a young sah married christian church-going,bible-believing,non-gay supporting,100% pro-life mom with 2 boys ages 2 and 2 months.i vaccinate my kids,use formula,use cio method,prop my babies bottle sometimes,spank as form of disipline and i love my kids very much.
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Instead of avoiding the behavior and finding ways around it, tackle it head on to eliminate it.  Make it known that you don't tolerate that type of behavior and stick to it.

Tying the door shut is a fire hazard.  If something were to happen in your home, he would not be able to get out quickly.  Untie it and find other ways.

*When I pray "coincidences" happen, when I don't pray, they don't*

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I agree with all of this.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Instead of avoiding the behavior and finding ways around it, tackle it head on to eliminate it.  Make it known that you don't tolerate that type of behavior and stick to it.

Tying the door shut is a fire hazard.  If something were to happen in your home, he would not be able to get out quickly.  Untie it and find other ways.

<3 Aubri Stacia & Tyler Joseph <3

averiensmommy07
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I would never tie my sons door shut. You need to find another way to fix the problem. 

elena.1122
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

popcorn 

TeenageMom0129
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM

u need to make sure u stay up untill he falls asleep!

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

agreed! maybe try taking the blanket away instead or something else he likes to have in bed with him.

Quoting jillbailey26:

azn_ladie82
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I wouldn't tie it completely shut. What you can do is put 2 baby gates up (1 on top of the other) so he doesn't throw his blanket over.

~ SAHM to Jordan (4), Jayden (2), Justin (1) & 2 Angel Babies ~
lauraluann
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

mommy1008
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Quoting KimmyShaw:

agreed! maybe try taking the blanket away instead or something else he likes to have in bed with him.

Quoting jillbailey26:

IlyssasMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I would check out a book...I think it's called 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block'. Maybe that'll help. Also, it could be that with a 2 month old in the house, he needs more attention. Put the two month old down, and go in and read to your 2 year old or sing him something. Let him know that you're going to read x amount of pages or sing 3 or 4 songs, then you need him to be a big boy and go to sleep. He'll like the time alone with you, plus, kids that age like to know what is going on. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)