Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice on getting a 22 month old to eat?!?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am at my wit's end trying to get my son to eat!!!  He says he wants some "yummies" so I make them.  He eats 2 bites and is done - I have tried everything - I have tried feeding him in his highchair, I have tried feeding him off my plate, off my husband's plate - I make PB&J with the crusts cut off - he will ocassionally eat just peanut butter off the spoon - I make him quesadillas, eggs and potatos, turkey roll-ups, even the greatest back-ups have not been working recently - McD's french fries.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I am a pro-choice, formula feeding, vaxing, pro-gay rights, stem cell research supporting, pro-gun, pro-death penalty, loving wife and proud mom to a CRS child.  Thanks and have a nice day.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scottyliammom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM

bump...........

aleitch
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:53 AM

i would love some ideas too! my 21 month old ds is the same way! or better yet.....he chews on his food for awhile and then spits it out! errr! and he is soooo picky!

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh454/Army_Mom_1985/allison.gif

starrymonkey
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM

DS will be 2 in November... and I feel your pain! 

DS is not a small child (little over three feet and well over 30lbs), but he goes through strange phases.  Suddenly he won't eat.  It freaked me out, but now I guess I'm just used to it.  He will seriously go an entire week eating nothing but grahm crackers or some other ridiculous thing.  Then he'll eat me out of house and home for weeks.  Then he'll eat nothing but dry cereal.  And suddenly he'll eat anything.  It just sort of goes like that.  It freaks me out, because one day I can see his ribs, and the next he's got a buddah belly!  From what I understand that's fairly normal though.

"Shh... Mommy doesn't know I'm a rockstar!"

meagan0716

I don't know. how long has he not been wanting to eat? I went through a spell like that with my daughter. Some times it comes and goes. But the first time I went through it with her she went 2days with out eating. But she was drinking alot more than she usaully did. I was worried and took  her to the doctor the 3 day. Her doctor said it was because she had the flu but she didn't show any signs of it what so ever. Idk. He said as long as I kept giving her liquids to drink and she took a bite of food her and there she would be fine. So i put enough food in a bowl for her to eat what she wanted. every few hours. By the fifth day she was eating like it was normal.

Quoting scottyliammom:

I am at my wit's end trying to get my son to eat!!!  He says he wants some "yummies" so I make them.  He eats 2 bites and is done - I have tried everything - I have tried feeding him in his highchair, I have tried feeding him off my plate, off my husband's plate - I make PB&J with the crusts cut off - he will ocassionally eat just peanut butter off the spoon - I make him quesadillas, eggs and potatos, turkey roll-ups, even the greatest back-ups have not been working recently - McD's french fries.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

29again

Sometimes they just don't want to eat a lot.  Like a growth spurt, when they eat anything they can put in their mouths, they also can have times when they don't want to eat a lot.  As long as as your son is healthy, not losing weight, and he does ask for "yummies", I really don't think you need to make a big big deal of it.  If it goes on for more than say 4 weeks, I would probably take to his pedi just to make sure that everything is OK

MixedCooke
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I think that is just how they are at that age considering my 21 month old is pulling the same thing.  Watch his liquid intake--maybe he is filling up on it before he eats.

MissMandaz
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

if you dont have a dog... leave food out on the table.. like a snack plate with crackers, cheezits, raw carrots and ranch.. stuff like that..

For my daughter i also let her drink the guranimals drink.. becuase of the extra vitamins in them..

I also would take her to mcdonalds and buy her happy meal.. and then tell her that she could play after she eats.. after two times i not letting her play becuase she didnt eat and then serving her the leftovers when we got home and she was hungry again..  that seamed to work

or getting the happy meal and telling her she cant have the toy until she eats..

Say tomorrow your kiddoe does eat a good amount.. just randomly say were are goign to the park becuase i am proud of you for eating today.. like doing something she likes to praise her for eating..

also.. even if you are not going to eat fix a plate for yourself.. then let her eat off of your plate.. this might start a bad habbit to fix later but until then you have tricket her into eating and can later explain to her that she has the same food on her plate.

Sometimes when my kids wont eat i tell them that i want to eat it and then they eat becayse they dont want me to..

hope those ideas help//

scottyliammom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM

It is more of an on again, off again thing.  He will go for a couple of weeks and eat ok, then its not a whole lot for a few days, then its back on - its like a seesaw - I just didnt know if there was something else to try -

katie2007709
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM

mine also 22 months goes through the same thing.. first of all she sits in her high chair for at least 10 min whether she eats or not and she is not back in for at least 2 hours then she eats or she doesnt still in for at least 2 minutes and after she drinks a lot i dont expect her to eat for a while...  she will fill up on liquids she loves spaghetti, cold cooked hot dogs, goldfish, cheesesticks, shephards pie, and homemade chicken noodle soup

if its something she doesnt like it goes on the floor and she says yuck...

scottyliammom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I appreciate everyone replying and hopefully some of this will help others - I dont even give him a drink until he has taken a couple of bites - scotty only loves hotdogs when he sees his papa eating them and if he doesnt like it, he just spits it down his chin!!  I am just thankful that we have 5 dogs to act like roomba's.  I guess they would be dogba's, right?

Quoting katie2007709:

mine also 22 months goes through the same thing.. first of all she sits in her high chair for at least 10 min whether she eats or not and she is not back in for at least 2 hours then she eats or she doesnt still in for at least 2 minutes and after she drinks a lot i dont expect her to eat for a while...  she will fill up on liquids she loves spaghetti, cold cooked hot dogs, goldfish, cheesesticks, shephards pie, and homemade chicken noodle soup

if its something she doesnt like it goes on the floor and she says yuck...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)