Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your (older) children drink alcohol?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you or do you let your kids drink?

Options:

Yea, as long as it's an occasional thing

Never!!

Other- cause there is always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

We do, on occasion. They each had a glass of champagne at our wedding and we got really horrible comments. We now live in Europe where it is perfectly acceptable for children to have a glass of wine. Now most of my kids are teens or preteens but when we buy wine from street vendors and do the taste testing, they will even give our 5 year old a taste. Very common place over here. Now mind you our kids don't sit around drinking and aren't allowed to either. But on New Years and whatever other special occasion I have no problem at all leting my kids have a glass of wine or letting my 5 year old have a few sips. Just as a side note, where we live the legal drinking age with a parent is 13 for wine and beer and 16 for liquor!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scottyliammom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:35 AM

I spent 8 years in Germany.  There was virtually no drinking age there - they even had kinderbier for the kiddos - it didnt have the alcohol but the taste (yuck!!).  I would probably let my 13 yr old or above have a small glass of wine or the bubbly on new years at home with us but not much younger.  I would rather have an open dialogue with them about drinking than think it will never happen before they are 21.  I will also have the agreement that they can call for a sober ride as they get older in case of any bad situations - no matter what time or where they are they can call.  I may restrict them from everything under the sun the next day but at least I will have them at home to restrict them!!

randi1978
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

When we lived in Germany, I got to go bar hopping with my mom when I was 13.  By the time I was 16, I was trusted to be allowed to drink as long as I followed certain rules.  I could even drink until I got a buzz.  My parents were open with it and never made it out to be this big deal.  My best friend's dad was the same way about it.

Her and I hardly drink.  It's not a big deal.  Yeah, we party hartied on our 21st birthdays, but other than that I can count on one hand how often we have gone out since we were legally able to drink by US law.

All my friends whose parents freaked out about under age drinking ended up being being huge party animals, still partying it up while there kids are home with a grandparent or other parent.

I plan on being the same way as my parents were with me.  When she is 16, she will be allowed to drink from time to time as long as she follows certain rules.

lvnmylif
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Yes we will.  Alcohol was never taboo for either of us and we don't feel it's off limits for our kids.  When they are young they wont be indulging in full glasses of wine.  My 7 year old son occasionally asks to taste our wine.  He has tried it a few times and hates it. 

Irelandsmom04
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Bump! We can't be the only ones who see nothing wrong with letting our kids experience a little alcohol!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

tashamomof3grls
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

possibly! just depends on the maturity level and the circumstances.

sexy_cookie
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM

i think that the parents who are like no its alcohol u cant have it til ur older no no no that their kids are more likely to party it up as teens behind their parents back.  my parents treated me like that and  once i got in 9th grade i partied up also i was very over protected. never went to friends houses as a child except this one girl whos dad was a doc. we live in a small town and i couldnt even go to the mall with friends until i was 16 and i moved outta the house.

ticker for babyArmy Girlfriend Pictures, Images and PhotosArmy Baby Pictures, Images and Photosarmy baby Pictures, Images and Photos
jothra
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Alcohol, no, but the alcohol free but taste of beer one, now that one I might go for. ONLY because DH let DS try a sip of soda when he was 1 and now he won't go near the stuff. It's funny now to offer it and have him hide from it =) He's almost 4 and still hasn't had any soda. I get lectures about my soda drinking now. He's my health nut- frozen broccoli is a treat for him =)

2gud2btrue
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

yes.  we were always allowed a sip of alcohol at special events (like during a toast, eggnog at christmas, etc.) because with alcoholism in my family, my parents wanted to eliminate the mystique and "cool factor" that draws many teens to alcohol.  i will say, it worked.  i have never been a big drinker, nor has my sis.  and my brother wasn't until he moved to japan.  they are big social drinkers over there lol.  but even he doesn't go around getting shit faced every night.   he just enjoys his "uppity fancy beers" lol.

7SinsAnna
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Sure, when my kids are teens and it’s a special occasion I see nothing wrong with it!

jonesyj08
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM

That's how we are. Our one and only is 14 months, so we don't have to worry quite yet, but we've already decided that if she want's to drink once she turns 14 we don't care as long as it's at our house. And if she wants to have friends, that will come at the age of 16 and we'll be asking the parents before any alcohol gets served. We won't let them get drunk, but the girls can all share a six pack of wine coolers. I know if my parents had done that, I wouldn't have been as curious about what it was all about when I got into college.

Quoting sexy_cookie:

i think that the parents who are like no its alcohol u cant have it til ur older no no no that their kids are more likely to party it up as teens behind their parents back.  my parents treated me like that and  once i got in 9th grade i partied up also i was very over protected. never went to friends houses as a child except this one girl whos dad was a doc. we live in a small town and i couldnt even go to the mall with friends until i was 16 and i moved outta the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)