Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*New Title* If you used a wedding planner.... (formerly "questions about your wedding")

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am starting a wedding coordinator business and could use all the help I can get.  Even if some of these questions don't apply to you, please feel free to answer those that do.  How many of you ladies used a wedding planner?  I didn't but sometimes wished I did.  How much was your budget?  How much did you pay your coordinator? What were some things you loved about your planner?  What were some things you didn't like?  How long did it take your planner to plan your big day?  How did you find your planner?  If there is any other information you would like to leave me, please feel free!  I could use all the help I can get.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimberlySnipes
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:52 AM

bump.... please help me get the info that I need!

petersgal
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:56 AM

I can't help a whole lot as I didn't use a planner, BUT :) my budget was $10,000, I live in a small town in ID so this is pretty normal here.  I COULD have used a planner when it came to invites, rsvp's, making sure everything was ready for the reception (the baker FORGOT my cake!!!! and made it last minute so it looked like crap, and no one remembered to light the candles on the tables).  For the most part I did ALL the work myself, even down to ordering the flowers whole sale, and hiring a college student who worked at a flower shop to put everything together.  For this area, if I HAD hired a planner I probably would have paid $1000 for the whole package, and I am just basing that off of my budget and what I maybe could have spared

Good luck!!!  I think that would be a super fun job!  Sorry I couldn't be more help

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM

I hired my SIL...I paid her in love...and my budget was $5,000 for 120 guest.

And she got everything within the budget.

BUT

We got a 20% military discount on the catering.

A 50% military discount on the hall.

We had our wedding and reception at the same place.

My MIL paid for the DJ.

My MIL and FIL performed the ceremony.

SIL's friends were the bartenders and worked for tips...they actually made a lot because it was an open bar...they went home with a good $100 each.

A family friend who makes cakes did ours for $100...basically cost.

And my SIL's friend who is a florist did the flowers at almost cost $200.

I LOVED having my SIL do everything. I really had zero stress about my wedding.

Kitta123
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM

My wedding is in 9 days, and I do not have a wedding planner. I'm not really sure what my budget it either, I know its not much. We bought things along the way, and my family has all pitched in and helped. It was their gifts to us. Sometimes I wish I did have one tho. If we had kept putting it off I would have probably gotten one. As for how much I would pay them, I have no clue! But my fella is pretty cheap, lol

AVON_Mama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Sorry I didn't use a planner I done most all of it myself and my sis made our cake and flowers. If you are wanting to get into this business I would sugggest first maybe google it to look for ides and also make up some business cards to leave at the local bridal shops and tux rental areas in town.

KimberlySnipes
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Thank you, I am going to do all that and have done a lot of the work already, I was just trying to make sure that my ideas with pricing and what not is correct and it's always helpful to find out what people didn't like about their planner.  I have googled until I can't google anymore and didn't come up with much and I don't know why.  That's why I figured I would come to you ladies.  Thank you every one who responded.

Quoting AVON_Mama:

Sorry I didn't use a planner I done most all of it myself and my sis made our cake and flowers. If you are wanting to get into this business I would sugggest first maybe google it to look for ides and also make up some business cards to leave at the local bridal shops and tux rental areas in town.

KimberlySnipes
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:53 AM

please help out ladies...bump

I promise next time I will have a drama post, but tonight I just need help.

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:07 AM

I didn't have one and I'm glad because I am just one of 'those' people who needs to do everything myself. I just can't fully lay trust in another person to do it (I think I have a delegating problem lol).

However if I were to look for one I would go off of referrals- I wouldn't just want to call someone out of the phonebook and pay them the big bucks. It may be a good idea to make a photo album of your work, or ideas (but actually take photos of your ideas) and leave it with your business cards at different places (if the place will allow). A bride could glance through and fall in love with something you did and then have a desire to grab your business card and call you. A website would probably also be beneficial, but I think having that book out (like caterors have at a bakery) would be the best way to reel people in.

a wedding website

I'm a breast/bottle feeding, co-sleeping the first year, kiss on the lips & tell her I love her every day kind of mom. I can let her CIO, but when she calls 'mommy' I'm on my feet and there in a heartbeat. I want my daughter to have many different experiences & to love everyone regardless of their's. I'm anti-abortion, for the right to bear arms, and completely against telling someone who they can and can't love.

Villanelle83
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM

We decorated my mom's backyard for our "engagement party" and had printed invitations ourselves to send out. We spent a little on supplies to decorate and cook with, and bought burgers and dogs... My grandma made our cakes. We told everyone to bring a covered dish and recipes, so that saved money on food. No fancy dress, just a summer dress and a new polo shirt for the hubby... I'm sure we spent under 1,000 total. A friend of the family performed our ceremony, and my brother played a few songs. My uncle and (now) SIL took pictures and video. That was pretty much it! Simple, special, and we didn't have to wait another year to start our life together!

momto3infl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

How many of you ladies used a wedding planner? No I didnt.

How much was your budget? 2000.00 payed for it ourselves-we actually only spend abt 1000.00

How much did you pay your coordinator? Didnt have one

How long did it take your planner to plan your big day?  We planned it in abt 6mths was a nice church wedding with reception after in the reception hall.

LOVE JOHN BARROWMAN "TORCHWOOD"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)