Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler help.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

Well my sons turned 2 July second.. and lately has been HORRIBLE!!!!
we have a new baby brother in the house (5 weeks old) and has been acting up he whines and crys about everything and screams fights and does not listen...

When i put him in time out he fights and gets up.. i have to litterly hold him down to make him sit there.. but i dunno if i should do that..

If i spank his butt he crys and wants me to pick him up.. how can he get a spankin then want mom to pick him up and comfort him.. doesn't work that way buddy..

i try to talk with him he just says no and either hits me or runs off..

We stick him in bed.. climbs out and plays with his toys..

Were lost for words.. What can we do??

Please ladies im looking for help...

punching         toddler boy        breastfeeding

Mommy And Daddy!            Clayton Gwyer             Abel James

April 7th 2007                   July 2nd 2007            July 18th 2009    

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jothra
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM

Don't hold him in time out, he's still getting attention. DS once took 45 min to take a 2 min time out. Have a fav toy that can be in time out? That works great in our house =). Personally, spankings didn't work for me, DS would just hit me back and didn't really phase him at all. Don't know how your son reacts, nor am I saying that you shouldn't spank, just saying my experiences with it =). As far as the bed, can you take out the toys? Even for just a short period?

Sounds like he's going through both the terrible two's and adjusting to a new sib. Any time you can spend just him and you? Can you let him help as much as possible? Dump on any praise you can and make sure he's getting outside. That's about all I got, sorry, I haven't had to deal with both of those together.

reecenkaden
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Sounds like attention seeking behavior. He needs some time where all the attention is on his so he feels important. He wants you  to put the baby down and play with him. 2 yr old can't express their emotions in words or even put names on them and tend to blow up when they can't make themselves understood. He's testing his boundaries because his enviroment has changed. There's a new person, and new rules.  Try some time with just him everyday for 5 days. If they doesn't work get down on his level and talk to him while he's calm using a soft voice, and when he blows up again try the soft voice again. If he doesn't respond well to that you may just need to walk away and tell him when he's ready to be nice, you're waiting for him.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!

Brokensurvivor
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:41 AM

a toy in time out??

i've thought about that.. we just have a small house and with baby stuff everywhere looks like its cluttered already but i might just have too..
yeah i play with him constantly. we got out side all the time.. just doesn't help.. i ask him to help with as much as he can and he loves getting broder a diaper.. or the bink, "baby bag"

Quoting jothra:

Don't hold him in time out, he's still getting attention. DS once took 45 min to take a 2 min time out. Have a fav toy that can be in time out? That works great in our house =). Personally, spankings didn't work for me, DS would just hit me back and didn't really phase him at all. Don't know how your son reacts, nor am I saying that you shouldn't spank, just saying my experiences with it =). As far as the bed, can you take out the toys? Even for just a short period?

Sounds like he's going through both the terrible two's and adjusting to a new sib. Any time you can spend just him and you? Can you let him help as much as possible? Dump on any praise you can and make sure he's getting outside. That's about all I got, sorry, I haven't had to deal with both of those together.

suger-n-spice
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM
your right you shoulden't hold him in time out.designante one place in your house as the time out spot a chair a step my daughter has a time out chair just her size leterly say's "timeout chair" keep putig him there and restating the time it takes alot of patence but it dose work we alway hug after I have a friend that used her high chair becouse she could lock him in I don't know about that one hope it helps
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Toddler Moms
All about Toddlers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Brokensurvivor
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Hmm that sounds like a good idea thanks!!

Quoting reecenkaden:

Sounds like attention seeking behavior. He needs some time where all the attention is on his so he feels important. He wants you  to put the baby down and play with him. 2 yr old can't express their emotions in words or even put names on them and tend to blow up when they can't make themselves understood. He's testing his boundaries because his enviroment has changed. There's a new person, and new rules.  Try some time with just him everyday for 5 days. If they doesn't work get down on his level and talk to him while he's calm using a soft voice, and when he blows up again try the soft voice again. If he doesn't respond well to that you may just need to walk away and tell him when he's ready to be nice, you're waiting for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)