Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hope they serve beer in hell

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:06 AM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone read this book?  I've been reading how the movie is being protested all over by women's rights groups because of the sexual context of the story.  If you have read it, do you think that humorizing sex with drunken women is equivalent to making light of the rape "culture" in this country where women are considered fair game even if they are incredibly intoxicated?  Or do you think the protestors are making to big an issue out of this?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Je_Jette_Poo
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:08 AM

They filmed part of that movie at the club I was working at!

I've never read the book. Or seen the movie though, so I can't really answer your question.

It was pretty sexual though, I will say that!

Alison_C
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:17 AM

My husband told me about a part of that book that he read. It was so freak'n hilarious.

I think it's stupid to protest this. There are worst things out there, but I also don't let movies affect my point of view. We shouldn't be trying to ban things in fear it will make light of serious things, but be educating people to know the difference between right and wrong.

I'm really tired right now, so I don't really know if what I said makes since. Haha!

2gud2btrue
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:21 AM

The news story I read, the protestors were not trying to ban it.  They were saying it perpetuates the rape culture that hapens especially on college campuses, where men intentionally try to get women drunk to persuade them for sex, or the fact alone that alcohol is so often involed in sexual assaults. 

Quoting Alison_C:

My husband told me about a part of that book that he read. It was so freak'n hilarious.

I think it's stupid to protest this. There are worst things out there, but I also don't let movies affect my point of view. We shouldn't be trying to ban things in fear it will make light of serious things, but be educating people to know the difference between right and wrong.

I'm really tired right now, so I don't really know if what I said makes since. Haha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)