Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My first child related shopping 'incident'

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

I had the lovely honour today of dealing with my first child related shopping 'incident' lol. I didn't bring the diaper bag, because I was only heading out for a short time. I ended up staying longer than thought because I had met up with an old friend and we decided to have a quick lunch together

After that we went to Target to get the last few things..then disaster struck. DS got real cranky and fussy, then proceeded to vomit... everywhere. I mean all over me, all over himself and all over the shelves. He hadn't vomited since he was 6 months old (he is now 10 months) and it was a real 'big boy' vomit if you know what I mean.

So for a while I'm shocked holding my bawling child covered and surrounded by vomit, getting filthy stares from everyone, a lovely lady came up and asked if I needed help and I just asked her if she could makes sure a staff member is aware so we can get it cleaned up as quick as possible.

Then right there I stripped my son to his diaper, bought him a new set of clothes to wear, I bought new shoes and a new shirt and cleaned my pants off as much as I could. And I helped the wonderful young man sent to clean up the mess.  I offered to pay for the products the vomit had damaged, but he said it wasn't necessary. As I walked out that area I felt everyone staring lol, most were giving, Aww..I've been there before looks, but others were pretty disgusted.

By the time we got home, DS's temp was soaring so we went to the hospital. Turns out he has a bad case of gastro :(. I think I handled it pretty well lol. I'm still having nightmare-like flashbacks of the incident lol

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sadeyez11
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM

that has never happened to me, thank god. i am not a vomit person, i will vomit too if my kids vomit. i did however have a similar experience at my sons therapy. we were on our way to his first therapy session. in the car he screamed in pain and said hit tummy hurt but he still wanted to go to therapy. we get there and i sit him down and he pukes everywhere. i get up and seriously just about puke myself. then a very sweet lady (mother of another child in therapy) came and assisted me. the staff took us to the back where i bathed my son and they gave me a set of clothes to put on him while they washed his clothes. the sweetest people ever.

Ma2mase
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:54 AM

wow, what nice people. I  was so mortified, but I am suprised by the amount of people who gave me a smile or asked if i needed help, it made the situation a little less uncomfortable for me.

Quoting sadeyez11:

that has never happened to me, thank god. i am not a vomit person, i will vomit too if my kids vomit. i did however have a similar experience at my sons therapy. we were on our way to his first therapy session. in the car he screamed in pain and said hit tummy hurt but he still wanted to go to therapy. we get there and i sit him down and he pukes everywhere. i get up and seriously just about puke myself. then a very sweet lady (mother of another child in therapy) came and assisted me. the staff took us to the back where i bathed my son and they gave me a set of clothes to put on him while they washed his clothes. the sweetest people ever.

unknownjourney
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:12 AM

The family went to Disney for vacation and my DD was standing behind this lady and we were just behind DD when she looked up at me and said I don't feel good. Well she did not want to leave because she didn't want to miss the parade so she told me that she didn't feel like she was going to vomit. "OK" I thought.....not much longer not only did she vomit but she did it all over the ladies back...OH MY GOD!  She didn't notice it so to top things off I had to tell her.  I offered to buy her a new shirt...she said no and then she took my daughter and put her infront of her so she could see the parade better looked at me and said "I am use to that.  This is my daughter (points to a very handicapped child).  Sometimes things can't be helped".  I still felt horrible but that lady was the best. 

DelennDax
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM

Poor mama. I probably would have been in shock too & not be able to think what to do. You handled it well.  Glad your DS is ok.

Ma2mase
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Aww that made me tear up a bit (must be almost time for AF sorry TMI lol) Some people are just so understanding and lovely.

Quoting unknownjourney:

The family went to Disney for vacation and my DD was standing behind this lady and we were just behind DD when she looked up at me and said I don't feel good. Well she did not want to leave because she didn't want to miss the parade so she told me that she didn't feel like she was going to vomit. "OK" I thought.....not much longer not only did she vomit but she did it all over the ladies back...OH MY GOD!  She didn't notice it so to top things off I had to tell her.  I offered to buy her a new shirt...she said no and then she took my daughter and put her infront of her so she could see the parade better looked at me and said "I am use to that.  This is my daughter (points to a very handicapped child).  Sometimes things can't be helped".  I still felt horrible but that lady was the best. 

Kestrel1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Our first child related incident was the library with my oldest.  I had my youngest in the stroller and had bent over to fix the straps, when he stands up on the computer chair he was sitting at and it goes over forwards.  He ends up taking the top of the monitor right in the nose and mouth, and puts his teeth through his lip, and smashing his nose.

He was about 18mo at the time, and I picked him up, streaming blood everywhere and head for the circulation desk with my screaming kid to ask if they had a first aid kit or an ice pack, or a towel or SOMETHING... meanwhile people are staring.  Like STARING STARING.  They're waiting to see like exorcist go down.

No first aid kit.  Of course.

So I take the whole crew, baby, stroller and all to the restroom and wash my kid down in the sink and manage to get the bleeding stopped so we can walk home.

Then there was the time my then youngest ate a paper towel and proceded to spew like a fountain all over the back of a car.  It looked like an avalanch pouring out of his mouth and I'm going WTF he hasn't eaten anything white today...

The mommy business is fuuuuuuun

theRonimal
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Wow, way to keep your cool! Good job, mama! I'm sorry you had to endure a vom covered outing.. :(

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I haven't had anything yet (knock on wood) but oh man did I get my parents good when I was a kid.  I used to use "my tummy hurts" when I didn't want to do something, or go on errands with my parents.  Well there were doing a better homes and gardens show at the convention center here mom and dad dragged me along.  And I was complaining about my tummy, but they didn't believe me.  Well they had just stepped in the door, onto the centers BRAND NEW carpet when "blech!" I puked all over the place.  THey walked right back out and we went home LOL.  They never doubted "my tummy hurts" again!

unknownjourney
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I have never seen anyone with a bigger heart than this woman.  We all laugh about it now.  Now my DD is 19, in the Army, and planning on getting married.  Even she remembers this woman.

Quoting Ma2mase:

Aww that made me tear up a bit (must be almost time for AF sorry TMI lol) Some people are just so understanding and lovely.

Quoting unknownjourney:

calcalmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Lol, it happens!  Kids don't always give you a warning when they're about to be sick...If I would've seen you and you vomit covered self and baby, I probably would've looked disgusted too, but just because I really, really don't like vomit, not because I thought you were a bad mommy or anything...Vomit just really grosses me out!!!

Good luck!  I hope he feels better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)