Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Water Breaking

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM
  • 11 Replies

How do you know the difference between your water breaking and just peeing on yourself?

Also, If your water breaks while you are peeing, how do you tell it was your water and not just only urine?

Sorry, this is all new to me and I was just thinking about it the other day (as I get closer and closer to my due date)

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bjarrett
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM

not to be nasty, but, smell it, if it's on any clothing. 

I had my water break in a "gush"  after getting up to go pee, I went to go lay back down, and woosh!  there went the water!  lol.....

I called the Dr. and they said come to the hospital NOW'

Yay!!!!!  Good Luck!

8>) 

Brandi in Missouri

AnnabellesMama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Quoting bjarrett:

I had my water break in a "gush"  after getting up to go pee, I went to go lay back down, and woosh!  there went the water!  lol.....

I called the Dr. and they said come to the hospital NOW'

Same thing happened to me!

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Pee had that bitter urine smell, but when your water breaks it has almost a sweet smell.  But beware, don't do what I did.  I had been  leaking all day, and I figured it was pee so I put a pad on.  This was around 32 weeks.  But then some BH contractions started, and the leaking wouldn't stop.  SO I sniffed the pad and it smelled sweet.  SO DH and I rushed to the hospital only to find out....it was pee.  I get home, go to the potty to replace the pad and I see on the packaged "lightly scented."  DOH!

lizmarie1975
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM

For my previous pregnancies, my water breaking was immediately followed by my first contraction.  I'm not sure how it feels when contractions start before the water breaking.

Mommyto6under7
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:46 AM

That's how mine was as well.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

For my previous pregnancies, my water breaking was immediately followed by my first contraction.  I'm not sure how it feels when contractions start before the water breaking.

ren109
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:51 AM

With my DD I had a tiny little gush. I thought maybe I peed myself, so I went to the bathroom. When I sat down, it did it again and it didn't feel like it came out of where you pee, plus i had to pee right after. So I laid down for a few minutes and when I got up GUSH! And then it kept on randomly gushing like that. It was over an hour later before I got some contractions, and about 3-4 hours before actual labor contractions started (or I started feeling them anyway). Trust me, it feels different than peeing yourself.

WendyJR
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I just knew.  I was actually giving a urin sample at my Dr's appt when my water broke.  I heard a gush and i was like "Dang i didn't know i missed the cup by that much" but i stood up and it continued to come out.  And obviously it comes out of a different hole.  So i just knew it wasn't pee.

shadyangel42
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Quoting bjarrett:

not to be nasty, but, smell it, if it's on any clothing. 

me too... only it was after i peed...  and I actually heard the membrane snap like a water balloon... creepy....

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
dsparnicht
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

If you can't tell call your doctor!  I went a week with a leak or fluid (thought it was pee) and ended up with an infection that put both me and baby at risk.  We both ended up ok but only because I had such a great doc.  I had a small leak at the top of my sack and it would leak only when i had a contraction, so it was hard to tell what was going on.  Dr induced a contration and then could see the fluid and knew it wasn't pee and sent me right to the hospital.  William was born that day at 3 weeks early.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Paesana82
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

With my son, my water broke after I went to the bathroom. I peed and as I stood up there was a little gush of water. You could tell it didn't come from the same place pee came from. Also, it doesn't smell like urine.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)