Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG! Our laptop!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

I downloaded firefox (or so I thought) onto the laptop last night.  We have had it on both the laptop and desktop for years with no issues.  I got it directly from Mozilla's website.  As soon as it finished installing on the laptop though, the computer locked up and the wallpaper disappeared, to be replaced ith a huge background talking about being infected with spyware, etc.  There is some new "security suite," on there that we didn't download.  You can't get online, you can't get into any program (even this new "security suite), you can't get to the control panel to do a system restore, or even to set back to factory settings, you can't do anything.  I don't know where this "security suite," came from, but it is a devastating virus, not security at all.  Our laptop is dead, totally useless.  Its $1200 of garbage now!
I'm sooooo pissed off.  Thank God it wasn't our desktop.  A majority of our photos on the desktop are backed up by an online source, but not all.
Dell has pre-built laptops starting at $299, so we have a replacement en route, as well as a 1TB external hard drive, to back up everything irreplaceable on the desktop.
I'm just livid right now.  I'm sure it *could* have been a coincidence, and not the firefox download that infected it, but if so, the timing is impeccable.  Just, beware what you download, even when you think its a reliable source.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LaPaBa
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:50 AM

You may need to take it to a person that works on computers, they may know how to fix it??? There's a group here called Computer Mom's Computer Heaven, might can get some advice over there in that gorup???

Paulathcat043.gif Animated Animals image by Keefers_animatedbackgroundbutterflies.gif animated butterfly image by autumnbreeze_2006

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM

that is why i never download anything.

I stick with IE regardless of how much it i feel it sucks.

theRonimal
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM

That's an easy fix, and you don't need a new laptop! Just take it to Geek Squad or another computer professional. It's not that bad. It's not "useless junk", it's just the OS that is "injured", not the computer itself.

NiahandAvasmama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

we had a laptop and no one would touch it...we ended up getting a desktop...now we have a pretty $1200 paperweight, lol.

CafeMom Tickers
LaPaBa
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM

A few months ago, my dd's laptop did something similar to this, cost like $85.00 to fix!

Paulathcat043.gif Animated Animals image by Keefers_animatedbackgroundbutterflies.gif animated butterfly image by autumnbreeze_2006

Kestrel1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM

HIt F12 while it's booting up to get into safe mode.  It will give you an option to restore the last known settings where the computer worked.

Download 'Malware Bytes' in safe mode, run it as a quick scan.  restart.  Run it again. 

We got some nasty spyware from a kids games site and it took me HOURS to clean the machine.

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM

My sister's fiance doesn't typically work on laptops, but since this one is dead as a doornail, we're going to tell him, "Look dude, if you can fix it, fabulous. If not, its all ready a lovely paperweight, so no harm done."  Hopefully he can get this garbage off.  We wanted a new laptop anyhow, just not...last night, LOL.

Quoting NiahandAvasmama:

we had a laptop and no one would touch it...we ended up getting a desktop...now we have a pretty $1200 paperweight, lol.

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Quoting Kestrel1:

HIt F12 while it's booting up to get into safe mode.  It will give you an option to restore the last known settings where the computer worked.

Download 'Malware Bytes' in safe mode, run it as a quick scan.  restart.  Run it again. 

We got some nasty spyware from a kids games site and it took me HOURS to clean the machine.

Yep, it doesn't work, we did that last night.  Heck, DH even tried to manually dump the memory from the hard drive (there's a small memory dump button).  This thing is dead.  Its going to take Harry Potter to fix it.  LOL

Kestrel1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hah!  Sucks. :-(

Quoting mom2ljh:

Quoting Kestrel1:

Yep, it doesn't work, we did that last night.  Heck, DH even tried to manually dump the memory from the hard drive (there's a small memory dump button).  This thing is dead.  Its going to take Harry Potter to fix it.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)