Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family of six eats for $4 a week

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

Family of 6 Eats For
About $4 a Week

Updated: Thursday, 27 Aug 2009, 1:45 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 26 Aug 2009, 9:53 PM EDT

(MYFOX NATIONAL) - It might take a few hours a week to clip coupons and browse supermarket aisles. But it's paying off for one woman who is feeding her family of six for less than $10 a week.

Kathy Spencer of Boxford, Mass., seeks out coupons, browses circulars and spends up to four hours a week at grocery stores. But she says she spends an average of $4 a week on groceries for a family that includes her husband, four kids, one dog, two cats and a rabbit. On a recent shopping trip, Spencer bought $279 worth of groceries for 39 cents.

"I had always used coupons for items I would buy regularly, but as I started pairing what coupons I had with what was on sale versus using a coupon for what I normally was brand loyal to, I soon discovered if I had more $1 off coupons for items that went on sale for $1, I could get a stockpile of that item and not pay a penny," Spencer told WorkItMom.com .

One of Spencer's tricks is to look for stores that double coupons' value. "We had $1 off 2 Orville [Redenbacher popcorn] coupons, but other states got 50 cents off of 1. What's the difference? Shaws [Supermarket] doubles coupons, so that made them $1 off of 1, so I get to stock up on popcorn. And, actually, it's part of a spend $25 get $10 back promo, so not only am I getting them for free I am actually going to be up money after doing this deal. This is what we call a 'money maker,'" Spencer told WorkItMom.

Stockpiling is actually another one of Spencer's strategies. If you can stockpile when products are free or almost free, you should. "Look at the expiration and figure out how much you think you will need between that time frame and stock up," she told Boston Globe Magazine .

Another trick? Modern technology. "We freeze everything," Spencer told WAPT-TV . "If taco shells are on sale, we pull out chicken from the freezer and make tacos."

Spencer is now helping other people save money through her groups on Yahoo! and on BigTent.com , both called How to Shop For Free. According to Lylah M. Alphonse who wrote the Boston Globe piece , the group on Yahoo has more than 3,800 members and the BigTent group has 1,500. Members post tips on how to save money and share inspirational stories, which Spencer said saves everyone time. And as a testament to the power of Spencer's strategies, she said members have gone from spending $300 a week on food down to $40.

"The beauty of having the How to Shop for Free site is we all work together so the sales get posted and you can see what will work out free and not even have to look at the sale paper if you are lazy that week," she said.

Last year a couple conducted an experiment to see if they could eat on a dollar a day per person for a month . One of their tricks was also to buy in bulk.

Last year USAToday challenged four dieticians to come up with meals that could feed a family of four for under $10. Among the suggestions -- make your own large sandwiches using fresh baked whole-wheat bread, sliced turkey, cheese and dark green lettuce. If you want to have a hot meal, turn it into a panini. As a side dish, serve seasonal fruit.

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I look for deals and use coupons but never had spent that little amount before.

edwardsgirl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM

that is insane.

I could never understand how people do that. I hardly find coupons for things i buy reguarly.

TattedMommyof2
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM

I know a lady that does that same thing.  I talked to her the other day and she told me she got almost $300 worth of groceries and spent $13.  I clip coupons on the time but I can't figure out how they do it! 

bjarrett
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM

that has a lot to do with location!  The small town I'm in , the stores don't do things like other, bigger chains do, and to get to bigger chains I have to DRIVE there, so save on food to spend on gas?......I can save, but, not like this. 

Brandi in Missouri

roxy85
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:27 AM

True, and look at home much time she spends at the store. Up to four hours a week? I go for about 30 minutes every 3wks, haha...

Quoting bjarrett:

that has a lot to do with location!  The small town I'm in , the stores don't do things like other, bigger chains do, and to get to bigger chains I have to DRIVE there, so save on food to spend on gas?......I can save, but, not like this. 

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

mirandar2001
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I spend hours scoping sales and clipping coupons as well. I never save that amount because grocery stores in my part of Florida do not double coupons. And now many have stopped accepting internet coupons because of fraud. It makes it hard to save but we do the best we can.

I am admin of a great coupon group if anyone wants in! 

INTERESTED IN SAVING ON YOUR GROCERY BILL? LOVE COUPONING? JOIN US!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/102020

shecallsmemom04
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM

where the hell do you find a coupon for 1.00 off something that is 1.00?  LOL.  the only place that used to double coupons here, doesn't anymore.  and i sure as shit am not spending 4 hours a week in grocery stores.

I'm an insane, bleeding heart extreme animal activist, who licks my dogs ass.  (and yes, for those wondering, i'm kidding)

good

lesliekaym27
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:02 AM

We have two Furgal living websites in my area. They take pictures of all the items that they buy. One lady had 200.00 worth of groceries but ended up paying 20.00. She had a lot of stuff.

sparkyskitten
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Can she shop for me?? Most stores around here don't do internet coupons and I can't spend 4 hr alone in a store...

Don't complain about life if you're not willing to get off your ass and do something to change it.

Freedom is NOT free!! It must be fought for and EARNED. So STOP putting your hand out and put it to work.

stacinbob
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

stores here dont take those internet coupons...but even the coupons in the newspaper..there isnt many and they SUCK lol ..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)